Renovation Approved For Peabody Terrace

Three-Year Project to Begin This June

By Marion B. Gammill

The Harvard Corporation on Monday approved a $19 million, three-year renovation of the Peabody Terrace apartments after a number of complaints about several internal systems in the complex.

The first phase of the project, the complete refitting of one of the three Peabody towers' lighting, windows, electrical systems and plumbing systems will begin June 15, said Kristen S. Demong, president of Harvard Real Estate.

Barr and Barr, a Boston construction company, will handle the project for Harvard Real Estate, according to Sally N. Zeckhauser, vice president for administration.

Peabody Terrace houses mostly graduate students, although some undergraduates and professors reside there.

Demong said construction on the buildings will take place only during the next three summers, and will not inconvenience Peabody residents.

"It will absolutely be completed by September," she said. "We don't want to disrupt people."

She said the 21 floors of the tower would not be gutted, as Weld Hall was when it was renovated last summer and fall.

Demong said the current single pane windows, which tenants have complained lead to drafts in the winter, will be replaced with more efficient thermal-pane windows.

She said the kitchen, which have also been a source of tenant complaints, will be completely rehabilitated, with new cabinets, fixtures and finishes.

Barr and Barr, a union firm, was chosen by Harvard Real Estate six months ago from several bidders, according to Demong, and the Corporation gave its authority to spend money on designing the renovation. The Corporation did not approve the $19 million construction budget until yesterday, she said.

"[Barr and Barr] has been working with us as well as the architect to make sure that if we design it this way, we can construct it how we want at the price we want," she said. "They made a number of good suggestions--not only how to design the project to maximize living space, but also to make sure to address maintenance issues."

Zeckhauser said last week that the renovation has been in the planning for about a year, and that the architect has also taken into account tenant complaints and suggestions.

"Harvard Real Estate is working with a number of tenants on it...about the quality of the living space," she said