HLS Group Opposes Powell

Gay, Bisexual and Lesbian Students May Give out Flyers

By Melissa Lee

In what may set a precedent for other organizations, a Law School group of gay, bisexual and lesbian law students last night proposed the distribution of lavender balloons and flyers describing the U.S. government's stand on homosexuals in the military to protest Gen. Colin L. Powell's Commencement address.

The Committee of Gay, Bisexual and Lesbian Legal Issues (COGBLLI) will bring the suggestion to the Leadership Council, a University-wide coalition of 15 gay groups, according to second-year Law School and COGBLLI member Steven K. Homer.

The balloons and flyers will be distributed to everyone entering one of the main entrances to the Commencement exercises in the Yard, if the protest plan is finalized, said Bisexual, Gay and Lesbian Students' Association Co-chair Javier Romero '95.

COGBLLI hopes to coordinate its protest of Powell--the military's most visible defender of the ban on homosexuals in the military--with the council to stage a more effective protest, said Homer, a former chair of COGBLLI.

Other means of protest suggested at last night's meeting included turning backs to Powell while he spoke, wearing pink triangles and booing the speaker when he was on the Tercentenary Theatre stage, Romero said.

COGBLLI's proposed Commencement protest is the latest escalation in the opposition to the University's selection of Powell as a ent.

Approximately 300 people rallied Wednesday in front of Memorial Church and a group of five faculty members issued a letter Tuesday to President Neil L. Rudenstine expressing "outrage" at Powell's invitation.

Garcia said he endorsed the proposed protest and that there was little argument at the meeting. He also said the meeting. He also said the meeting's attendees did not seem to want a more vocal protest.

"I like the idea a lot because I didn't want to spoil Commencement," Romero said. "It's a visible sign to Powell and it's still festive."

Although the form of protest has not been finalized, Homer said the June 10 demonstration is important because of Powell's place in the public spotlight.

"His speaking will have national implications," Homer said. "It's not just those who are graduating who are outraged, but it's people across the country.