Group Accuses Epps of Religous Bias

By Jeffrey N. Gell

A member of the Undergraduate Council yesterday accused Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III of religious discrimination in delaying recognition of a student Bible study group.

Michael J. Hrnicek '96, president of Harvard Christians in Action, said he has been trying for two years to receive official recognition for his group, but Epps has repeatedly stalled the process.

Some of club's members, including Hrnicek, belong to the Boston Church of Christ, a church some proctors have referred to as a cult, Hrnicek said.

"He has concerns with my church, and he doesn't like my church," Hrnicek said. "He said in September that at the end of the week we would either be recognized as a student organization, or as a United Ministry organization, but nothing has happened."

In an interview yesterday, Epps said his concerns about recognizing the organization reflect not a prejudice against Hrnicek's religious views but a concern over the group's autonomy.

"I don't think beliefs is the issue. I don't actually know his beliefs," Epps said. "The issue is one of conduct on campus. Is it an outside organization or is it a Harvard organization?"

Epps said he wonders whether the group is autonomous because members of the "International Boston Church of Christ" met with him last summer about the recognition of Hrnicek's organization.

"We would like undergraduates to run their own affairs and think that's an important part of the undergraduate education," Epps said. "When it says Harvard--that's an accurate description."

According to a letter from Epps to the Committee on College Life (COCL), the body authorized to approve new student groups, University policy requires that groups applying for official recognition register each fall with Epps' office.

They must have no fewer than 10 undergraduate members, be led entirely by undergraduate officers and have two University advisors, including one full faculty member. Retaining local autonomy is also a requirement.

While maintaining his group's autonomy, Hrnicek acknowledged speaking with Doug Webber, an evangelist for the Boston Church of Christ.

"We aren't trying to start a church," Hrnicek said. "[Webber] was a student at MIT and Yale Medical School and is a doctor locally. I asked him because Dean Epps was talking of applying through United Ministry."

Webber did not return repeated telephone calls yesterday.

Hrnicek said he wants official recognition in order to apply for funding from the Undergraduate Council and increase publicity for his group.

"In my opinion, I don't believe the Bible is lived out," Hrnicek said. "A lot of groups like to look at it."

Epps said he plans to call a special meeting of the COCL next week to discuss whether to recognize Hrnicek's group.

But citing the importance of religious freedom, COCL member Randall A. Fine '96, also a member of the Undergraduate Council, said he "will take it upon [himself]" to propose recognizing Hrnicek's group at today's meeting of the COCL, despite Epps' reservations.

"My religion 50 years ago was thought of as a very weird thing in a country across the ocean," said Fine, who is Jewish. "If it isn't an issue of ideology, [Epps] would have come out two years ago and said no [to Hrnicek's organization]."

At last night's meeting of the Undergraduate Council's student affairs committee, Fine proposed a resolution for the council to "endorse any student group that meets the minimum requirements" and to call "upon the Dean of Students' Office to grant official recognition from the administration for these groups."

The resolution passed 24-0, with one abstention.

Fine said some proposed organizations approved by Epps do not even meet the minimum requirements. He said that unless the COCL approves Harvard Christians in Action, he will veto these other student organizations.

"I will not vote to seat any group until all groups are seated," Fine said. "There are groups that clearly violate the standards."

According to the list of nine proposed student organizations scheduled to be approved at today's meeting, five lack an adviser who is a full faculty member.

Justin C. Label '97, chair of the student affairs committee and a member of the COCL, said he will support Fine despite his reservations about Harvard Christians in Action.

Hrnicek, who is also a representative on the COCL, said he "highly doubts" the issue will come to a vote at today's meeting. He will likely abstain if a vote is taken.

At yesterday's meeting, student affairs members also informally endorsed a proposal supporting current system of non-ordered housing choice. They included an amendment recommending that students increase the number of houses they list in the spring lottery from four to seven.

Responding to the concerns of house masters, members also recommended that the maximum size for blocking groups be reduced from 20 to 16.

The housing lottery is scheduled to be discussed at the Committee on House Life (COHL) meeting today