A SPRING OF DISCONTENT

March 12, 1992 Student Coalition for Civil Rights (CCR) members meet Law School Dean Robert C. Clark at the door of his home as he leaves for work. They give him a list of demands for a more diverse faculty and discussions of the issue continue through the day.

March 18, 1992 Fifteen CCR students stage a sit-in at the office of Carter Professor of General Jurisprudence Charles Fried to protest alleged hiring discrimination in the Law School faculty. They leave after they are threatened with disciplinary action.

March 20, 1992 Sixteen CCR members crowd into the office of professor of Law Reiner H. Kraakman. They depart after 15 minutes when Kraakman leaves the office.

April 7, 1992 Risking arrest and an Administrative Board hearing, nine CCR members begin a sit-in in front of Clark's Griswold Hall office.

April 8, 1992 The CCR protesters leave Clark's office after a 25-hour vigil and issue a list of demands for a more diverse faculty. Approximately 50 Law School students gather to support the 'Griswold Nine' as they leave Clark's office.

April 10, 1992 More than 60 members of the Coalition for Civil Rights and their supporters from other graduate schools hold a silent vigil in support of 13 students facing Administrative Board charges for the Fried and Clark sit-ins.

April 16, 1992 Nine Law School student groups call on Clark to resign, saying he is insensitive to minorities and women.

May 5, 1992 In a public meeting of the Law School Administrative Board, eight CCR students are tried for participation in the Griswold Hall sit-in. They are eventually let off with a warning.