No Complaint Field Against Archaeologist

TO THE EDITORS

With great dismay I read that I had filed a formal complaint of sexual harassment against Prof. Van der Merwe in Jonathan Axelrod and Jonathan Lewin's article "Allegations Divide Wing" (Feb, 7, 1994).

I have never filed a formal complaint of sexual harassment against any professor in the archaeology wing of the Anthropology Department, nor do I intend to take such action. Had the authors asked, I would have told them that I had never filed a complaint of sexual harassment against any faculty members in the archaeology wing.

Sound and responsible journalistic procedure requires a confirmation of all information printed in a news piece and the authorization by an individual to use his or her name; the authors never solicited nor received any such confirmation from me.

Regrettable, their irresponsibility and luck of journalistic integrity result not only in a poorly constructed and weakly supported piece of journalism, but also seriously jeopardize the careers of both faculty and graduates students in the archaeology wing.

This journalistic exercise may somehow enhance the status of both authors within the journalistic and Harvard communities, but they regrettably will never be forced to answer to and deal with the repercussions of their poor judgment and thoughtless actions.

Editor's note: The story noted that Professor van der Merwe was the only source for the statement that Chesson had filed a formal complaint. As to Chesson's suggestion that she never received and opportunity to set the record straight, Crimson reporters contacted Chesson and asked her about the complaint. She refused to comment. Merideth S. Chesson   Department of Anthropology