Jewett Defends Dean On Perspective Charge

Supports Epps' Work in Race Relations

By Christopher Ortega

Dean of the College L. Fred Jewett '57 yesterday expressed support for Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III, who was recently accused of threatening students and failing in his role as the College's race czar.

Jewett's comments came in response to a series of articles in Perspective, a liberal campus monthly. The series, written by D. Isaza '94-'95, alleges that Epps bullied students who wanted to from a new business club.

Isaza wrote that Epps threatened to "write on their records, call invited speakers, cancel events at local hotels and even `tell the [Harvard] Business School' about their illicit activities should they ever apply."

Jewett, however, said he has received no formal complaints nor seen any evidence to substantiate the allegations. "It sounds very nebulous," Jewett said. The charges resemble "the kind of innuendoes," the dean added.

Jewett also said that if students want to make allegations against Dean Epps, "people should just come and see me."

Jewett said he is skeptical of the claims because Isaza's article does not name any students who were allegedly threatened.

In addition, members of the Harvard Business Club interviewed by The Crimson this month said Epps made no such threats.

But Jewett also said there are some threats administrators ought to make. For instance, Jewett said administrators might threaten disciplinary action deter students from breaking the alcohol policy.

Jewett also defended Epps against charges that the dean of students does not adequately fulfill his roles as dean and race czar. Asian-American student leaders also charged in Perpective that Epps is insensitive to minority students.

However, Jewett said a large Group of people works with Epps to handle race relations and to diversify the administration's perspective on race issues. Epps was appointed in September 1992 as race relations czar to head a large race relations bureaucracy.

"Dean Epps is not alone," Jewett said. "One of the things that's frustrating is that a few years ago people were saying race relations too diffuse."

Pointing to the work of Dr. S. Allen Counter Jr., director of the Harvard Foundation for Intercultural and Race Relations, Jewett said there is not a monolithic perspective on race relations.