Council Upholds Executive Decision

Tensions Likely To Flare in Debate

By Todd F. Braunstein

"Larry King Live" should have broadcast warring personalities like these.

When Al Gore '69 and Ross Perot debated the North American Free Trade Agreement last fall for a national viewing audience, the personal tensions between the vice-president and his antagonist were evident but subtle.

But when Undergraduate Council President Carey W. Gabay '94 squares off against former council member Anjalee C. Davis '96 in tonight's debate on the council's recent $10 term-bill hike, sparks are sure to fly.

Consider Davis, who organized a petition drive that secured teh signed approval of ten percent of the student body to force a referendum on the fee hike.

Davis has been highly critical of the council'sleadership throughout the year. She has recentlyattacked the council's refusal to administer areferendum on the four other issues presentedsimultaneously on her petition, which includedpopular election of council executives.

In reports published over the last two weeksalone, Davis has termed the council hierarchy"Incredibly arrogant," "unresponsive," and as"desperate leaders clinging to power."

"Do they think they were appointed by God?" sheasked rhetorically after Gabay pushed discussionof the petition to the executive board.

Consider Gabay, who was publicly harsh withDavis in ruling her out of order when shepresented her petition to the council last Sunday.

"You're out of order, please take a seat,"Gabay shouted repeatedly, banging his gavel.

The exchange climaxed when Gabay snapped, "Sitdown or get out."

But there was no love lost between Davis andGabay at last Sunday's meeting. From her firstdays on the council Davis has antagonized Gabay.

And when she resigned, Gabay told The Crimsonshe "never really made much of a difference" onthe council.

But Gabay said he is determined to maketonight's debate as "issue-oriented" as possible.

"I'm determined not to let anything becomepersonal anymore," Gabay said last night