Debaters Reach Quarterfinals

Senior Duo End Career; Voted Fifth Best Team in Country

By Emilie L. Kao

Two Harvard debaters reached the quarterfinals at the American Parliamentary Debate Association's National Championships at Fordham University in New York City this past weekend.

Of the Harvard Speech and Parliamentary Society's five teams, Harvard's best place finish was by the senior duo of Jane S. Park '94 and Thomas S. Hixson '94. The pair reached the quarterfinals before losing to the Swarthmore team that went on to capture the championship.

Park and Hixson were voted the fifth best team in the country and Park was voted second best speaker of the tournament.

Among the field of 40 schools, Harvard sent one of the largest teams. Harvard holds the record for having won four national championships, the most of any school.

Four teams won spots in the tournament by reaching the finals of a regular season tournament. One was chosen in a "free bid," of which each university has one.

Harvard also sent the most seniors to the tournament this year. For the seven senior debaters, their final competition brought a sense of closure to an activity that has occupied much of their time and energe at Harvard.

Park described her final debate as "bittersweet."

"It was the end of eight years of debating for me, everything came full circle in this tournament. because Tom [Hixson] was my first debate partner here," she said.

We went out in style, I thought we both gave very good speeches," park said.

Teammate Ross L. Levine '94 agreed, "we're so proud of [Hixson] and [Park]. They're as good as any team in the country and they've had as much success as anyone in the country."

Ajit V. Pai '94 said that although his last showing was not as successful as he had hoped, he still valued his experience.

"I've really enjoyed debate; I've gotten a lot out of it. It's made me much more confident, in everything from speaking in section to just making public speeches."

Levine said his teammates never ceased to challenge each other's logic.

"You make your audience think, you make them decide for themselves, make them think about issues in new ways," Levine said. "That the mark of a great debater, its the mark of Harvard debater, we always make each other think."