Winthrop Gets New Co-Masters

Current Dudley House Co-Masters Hanson, Rosenberger Promise Creative Approaches to Diversity

By Ethan M. Tucker

The three-month search for new Winthrop House co-masters has concluded with the selection of current Dudley House co-masters Paul D. Hanson and Cynthia Rosenberger.

Hanson, who is also Lamont Professor of Divinity, and Rosenberger replace Professor of Sociology James A. Davis and Martha H. Davis. The Davises announced in January that they would retire at he end of this academic year.

The incoming masters, who accepted their new posts March 24, were chosen by President Neil L. Rudenstine from a short list of couples submitted by the Winthrop Master Selection Advisory Committee.

Hanson and Rosenberger have pledged to work toward increased ethnic and extracurricular diversity in the house.

Hanson and Rosenberger said yesterday they will use a creative approach to increasing diversity. Students will play a key role in the process, Hanson said.

"We do not want quotas enforced on the houses," he said. "We think the way to diversify the houses is to make them attractive."

Hanson said the new masters will encourage a diverse student body through "fostering the arts" and drawing new Senior Common Room members from varied backgrounds. The Winthrop Senior Common Room is composed of the masters, the tutors, and several house residents.

Students members of the Selection committee said the new masters' commitment to diversifying the house impressed them in the search process.

"We [the selection committee] were really impressed with the Hansons' commitment to diversity," said Michael K. Stern '95 a member of the committee.

Stern added that the selection committee wasimpressed by the new masters' track record atDudley House.

For the last three years, Hanson andRosenberger have worked to expand Dudley Houseinto a base for Graduate School of Arts andSciences students. The house, which is notresidential, formerly only included undergraduatesliving off-campus.

The couple showed their concern for Dudleyhouse members by establishing such programs as"fireside chats" with professor, Stern said.

Hanson and Rosenberger said they feel they haveaccomplished a great deal in the last few years atDudley.

"We looked upon Dudley House as a very excitingchallenge," Hanson said. "We've had a wonderfultime and we've moved [Dudley] house into its nextstage."

But after six years as masters of the "housewithout a house," Hanson and Rosenberg say theymost look forward to living in a permanentcommunity.

"It will be a residential situation,"Rosenberger said. "A community in which we canlearn the names of all the students."

The new masters eagerly anticipate their newassignment, they said.

"We think it's a very healthy house," Hansonsaid. "We like its emphasis on community and itsunpretentiousness."

Winthrop Senior Tutor Greg Mobley predictedHanson and Rosenberger would take some time toadjust to their new setting.

"I think they'll probably need to getacclimated to Winthrop House," he said. "But welook forward to any new emphases and intereststhey want to share with us.