W. Lax To Face Loyola

By Eric F. Brown

The Harvard women's lacrosse team has had its wish answered.

Before the NCAA tournament pairings were announced, Harvard (11-3 overall) knew that it wanted to play Loyola of Maryland (15-2) in the first round.

Earlier this season, Harvard lost to Loyola, 11-10, in a game that the Crimson should have won--but could not.

And this Monday, the Crimson learned that it would have a rematch down in the Crab Cake State tomorrow.

"We're looking to sort of pay back Loyola," junior Sarah Winters said. "When we lost to them we walked off the field and said, 'We have got to play them again."

Given the way that Harvard lost, that feeling is not surprising.

The Crimson jumped out to an early four-goal lead, playing some of its best lacrosse of the season.

But there were signs of trouble, such as referees allowing illegal draws.

Harvard nevertheless stayed in front until the second half, when Loyola slowly caught up and tied the game late.

Then, with seven seconds remaining, the referees unbelievably gave Loyola a free shot directly in front of Harvard freshman goalie Kate Schutt. No matter how much Harvard argued, the call stood, and so would the ensuing game-winning goal.

Without a doubt, revenge is now on Harvard's mind.

"Everyone is really fired up," co-captain Francie Walton said. "If I was Loyola I'd be really scared right now."

And to make things even more difficult for Loyola, the Crimson is peaking at the right time.

Last week, Harvard blasted Dartmouth, 11-4, and knocked the Big Green out of the tournament. It was easily the team's most complete game of the year.

"Last week was definitely the best game we've played," senior Kelly Morrison said.

To exact its vengeance on Loyola, the Crimson's defense must knock off the opposing attack as it did against Dartmouth, when it held top scorers Lauren Holleran and Sarah Devens to a total of one goal.

Loyola does not boast of the same one-two punch that Dartmouth does, but nevertheless its offense can be potent, as it did score 11 times against the Crimson in their one meeting.

On the other end of the field, Harvard junior Megan Colligan might get to see some action tomorrow. The attacker suffered a stress fracture in her leg in early April against Yale, but the injury wasn't diagnosed until last week.

It has now healed to the point where she might be able to see some action, which should be a boost to the Harvard offense.

In other Harvard news, Schutt was honored with her first Ivy League Player of the Week award due to her performance against Dartmouth, in which she made 14 saves on 18 shots.

Tournament Notes

The women's tournament has six teams, with the top two--Maryland and Princeton--getting byes for the first round.

The winner of the Harvard Loyola game will face Maryland next Saturday, while the William & Mary-Virginia victor will meet Princeton.

The championship game takes place the following day, and all Final Four games will be played on the campus of the University of Maryland.