Adams A's Obnoxious Intruder

Reporter's Notebook

An otherwise boring police blotter produced a hint of news yesterday. According to the infrequently updated (and reportedly watered-down) rolls at police headquarters in 29 Garden St., somebody intruded into a third floor room in Adams House A entry late on Tuesday afternoon.

A reporter left a message at the room door, and resident Steven Wardell '94-'95 called back.

At about 4:40 p.m. Tuesday, a tall man entered his room, asking to use the phone, Wardell said. But at the time, the student was on the phone with Continental Airlines, which had lost his luggage.

The intruder, seeing that Wardell was on the phone, went into his roommate's bedroom. The roommate told the man his phone was broken, and the intruder walked into the room of a third roommate, who was away.

Still on the phone with Continental, Wardell noticed that the intruder was picking up items on the absent roommate's desk.

Wardell reacted quickly. "I can't believe you're going through someone's stuff," he said. "Leave immediately."

"We haven't spurned your bags," replied the Continental Airlines representative, still on the phone. "We didn't go through your stuff."

After the incident, Wardell called the police.