University Opens Travel Center

Move Is Ongoing Effort to Cut Cost for Faculty and Staff

By Michael M. Luo

As part of an ongoing effort to cut travel costs for faculty and staff, the University is opening the Harvard Travel Center.

The center, which is a joint project among the Harvard schools, the central administration and Thomas Cook/American Express, will open Monday on the third floor of the Holyoke Center and in an office on 39 J.F.K. St.

In the last several years, the University has tried to implement cost-saving measures and more efficient management techniques, said Frank Schnur, assistant director of travel at the Office of Financial Systems.

"The Travel Center is an effort to consolidate the University's volume so we can leverage our purchasing power," Schnur said.

In the past, many faculty and staff members have made their travel plans without considering discounts the University could offer, Schnur said.

For example, although Harvard had a business agreement with Omni Travel--allowing cheaper travel rates--few faculty and staff members turned to the University's preferred travel agent, Schnur said.

The new Travel Center will channel all faculty and staff making travel plans to Thomas Cooke, securing significantly lower prices, Shnur said.

"Although it's taken a while, the University is moving forward with better business practices," he added.

Overseeing the Harvard Travel Center is an 11 members Deans' Travel Board, appointed by the University's administrative deans.

Norman Shostak, a member of the Travel Board and director of management and fiscal affairs of the Department of Continuing Education at the Medical School, said the University would benefit from this "pooling [of] resources."

The University spends more than $30 million annually for the travel expenses of faculty and staff, Shostok said. "The new travel center is expected to save between $3 and $6 million each year," he said.

Shostok said the Travel Board met for more than a year, examining the travel practices of other universities and major corporations and investigating the reputation of several vendors.

The Board considered the various travel needs of the Harvard community as well, Shostak added.

"The case method that the Business School is based upon is a field-based system, so our faculty travels around the world," said Rick Melnick, Travel Board representative from the Business School.

Members of the Board are optimistic but cautious about how effectively the Travel Center will be able to cut costs.

"If everyone does his/her job, it should work," Shostok said.

The Board plans to meet regularly to monitor the Center's effectiveness.

Patti Giametti, director of travel at the Office of Financial Systems and overseer of the development of the new Travel Center, said she is "confident it will succeed."

"Harvard people shop intelligently, and when they find out that the deals are out there, they will not hesitate to arrange their travel through the Center," Giametti said