Empty Fingers

On the John

By John C. Ausiello

As Pete Stoyanovich's kick sailed wide right on Sunday afternoon in San Diego, Miami's hopes and dreams of a Superbowl victory were dashed.

I am not a fan of the Dolphins. In fact, as a Patriots rooter, I have a pro-found disliking for the men in aqua and orange. "Squish the fish" will always be the battle cry of my youth.

But, as the ball sailed wide on Sunday, I could not help feeling sorry for Dan Marino. The man is simply cursed, perhaps fated never to win the big one.

He is destined to join the ranks of John Elway, Ted Williams, Ernie Banks and many, many more athletes who have excelled individually, but never won a championship. Individuals of rare abilities, but of all too common a fate.

With Marino, though, it seems even crueler. Think about it for a second. He is the best pure passer of his generation, probably ever, and he has never won a championship in anything. Not in the pros. Not in college. Not in high school. And not even in Pop Warner.

Has anyone of his ability ever been cursed with such a fate? Thousands of individuals a year with the athletic ability of Hillary Clinton win something--be it a high school championship or a bowling league title.

But once again, in early January, Dan Marino returns home, uncrowned and unhappy.

Here's hoping he gets traded to the Patriots in the off season. Then at least, with him and Bledsoe alternating games next season, he can at last win the big one.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

The Pittsburgh Steelers have to win this weekend, for the sole reason of salvaging the AFC as a legitimate sports conference.

If San Diego is sent to Miami, the Super Bowl should be called off. Seriously, does anyone outside of San Diego--Dr. Z not included--think this team can beat either the Cow Boys or the Niners?

The AFC will be embarrassed again, and quite frankly, should probably consider becoming a minor league.

The Steelers do not have a great shot either, but at least, with a few breaks--for instance if Barry Switzer suddenly thinks he's back at Oklahoma and decides to run the option--and their impressive defense, they have a slight chance to pull off the victory.

Go Steelers. Save the country from another lost Sunday afternoon.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

UMass fans out there, take notice. The hoops team is number one in the nation, and a quick look at their up and coming schedule can only bring a smile to your face. It does to mine.

In the next two months, they have, besides a potentially difficult game against Penn, primarily league contests. Next to Temple, no one in the Atlantic 10 belongs on the court with UMass.

All this adds up to a long run at the top for Calipari and his gang.

Thank god. With Drew resting comfortably in Washington, Jose still just a dream, and the Bruins scattered throughout two continents, there is little to root for these days in the local sports world.