HUPD Arrest Man

Suspect Charged With Robbery, Assault

By Andrew L. Wright

Four Harvard police officers last week chased and arrested a Watertown man they say attempted to rob a cash register from one of the push carts at the Shops By Harvard Yard.

John J. Blickenstaff, 27, was charged with breaking and entering a depository and two counts of assault in connection with the incident, which took place shortly after 6 p.m. on December 30.

Police allege that Blickenstaff punched the cart's owner, Cambridge resident Lucy Briggs, in the side of her head as he tried to make off with two handfuls of cash from her register.

Briggs' husband, William Downey, then tried to stop Blickenstaff from running away.

But the suspect struck Downey with a large backpack containing several articles of clothing and a Nynex yellow pages phone book, according to police reports.

Blickenstaff then punched Downey in the chest and fled from the Holyoke Center down Mass. Ave. with Downey chasing him.

Harvard police officers Alex Kordis, Robert Kotowski, Brian Lakin and Richard Vitale apprehended the suspect behind 20 DeWolfe St. as he ran toward the Charles River.

Police said the suspect was carrying clear liquid in a small prescription bottle and 13 hypodermic needles. The liquid was sent to the State Police Crime Laboratory for analysis.

Blickenstaff was taken to Cambridge City Hospital for treatment of a cut over his eye. He sustained the cut during the altercation with Downey.

Blickenstaff was released on bail pending a hearing at Cambridge Third District Court, authorities said.