Team Needs Dose of Konik's Fire

By David S. Griffel, Special to The Crimson

CANTON, N.Y.--If Harvard had produced four lines that put out the effort of the first line, especially that of captain Brad Konik, the Crimson would have emerged victorious last night. Unfortunately for the road team, that wasn't the case.

"The team is waiting for that senior line," Harvard coach Ronn Tomassoni said. "They're not going to be able to do it [alone] every night."

Konik's effort should not be forgotten. He scored twice and was robbed on numerous other occasions, especially in the third stanza.

Konik drew four penalties, even at the end of long shifts. Saint goalic Clint Owen robbed him at least five times in the third period from point-blank range, as the Crimson attempted its comeback.

"Konik has been fantastic and his effort tonight was terrific," Tomassoni said.

If there is one positive to take out of the loss, it was the effort the Harvard captain and the other two seniors on the front line. Tommy Holmes and Kirk Nielsen also generated many wonderful chances in the comeback attempt.

The rest of the team would be wise to follow their example.

A Goal or Not a Goal?

When Harvard visits St. Lawrence, it has to battle both the home team and the officials for goals, or so it seems. Trailing 4-2 last night, senior Kirk Nielsen ripped a shot on net that Clint Owen stopped, but Saint Troy Creuer kicked the puck into the net at the same time as it crossed the line.

Harvard goal, right? St. Lawrence knocked it in, no?

Referee Bill Stewart waived it off and gave Creuer an interference penalty. At least the Crimson made up for Stewart's grinch-like call with Konik's power play goal.

A far more harmful goal occurred last season. With Harvard trailing by a goal and the netminder pulled for an extra attacker, the Crimson put the puck in the net with one second left. But the zebra waived that one off, too, as a Saint knocked the net off its mooring. The ref called neither a penalty nor a penalty shot.

Notes

These teams didn't like each other from the start. Actually, the tensions began before most of the fans entered Appleton Arena when a couple of players from each team engaged in a mini-fracas during the pre-game warmups. Nothing significant amounted from the affair, and the officials separated the two teams peacefully.... It was only fitting that the Canadian anthem was played in addition to the "Star Spangled Banner"--besides being a heartbeat away from Canada, 18 of St. Lawrence's 20 dressed players hail from the country up north.