Incoming Dean May Influence College Structure

By Marios V. Broustas

Harry R. Lewis '68 may not take any official action in his new post as Dean of the College until July when he takes over for L. Fred Jewett '57. But his appointment has already impacted the future direction of Harvard College.

Lewis, who is Gordon McKay professor of computer science, was a co-author of the report on the structure of the College. The controversial report issued to Dean of the Faculty Jeremy R. Knowles last August recommended a variety of organizational changes to the current College bureaucracy. Specifically, Lewis and Co-author Nancy L. Maull, administrative dean for the Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS) recommended a restructuring of the dean of the College--the position which Lewis will occupy.

The report also recommended establishing a new assistant dean of public service to oversee a consolidated College public service structure, increasing faculty oversight of undergraduate organizations such as the Undergraduate Council (UC) and randomizing the house lottery system.

Lewis said in an interview Wednesday that he agrees with all of the recommendations made in the report.

But that report touched off a series of fiery debates last fall among student leaders who said they should have been included on the 13-member Committee on the Structure of Harvard College.

Students leaders clamored to be included in the process of planning for the new Dean of the College--the administrative position which most impactsstudents. Some students said they were angrybecause they were not consulted about the new deanstructure or about Jewett's successor.

While Lewis's appointment is a significantchange for the College as a whole, sources withinthe Computer Science Department, where Lewis washead tutor and taught three courses, said hisdeparture will affect the department as well.

Public Service

The most vocal reaction to the Report came fromthe College's public service community. Studentsand public service administrators objected to therecommendations made by a subcommittee on publicservice.

These recommendations would combine theCollege's current two-tiered public servicestructure under a single assistant dean for publicservice and housing the resulting public servicestructure in Phillips Brooks House (PBH) andcreate a standing faculty-student committee onpublic service which would have "ultimatejudgment" on public service activities.

The College currently has two public serviceorganizations: Phillips Brooks House Association(PBHA), a student-run, staff-supported volunteerorganization with over 1500 members and theUniversity's Office of Public Service, whichoversees approximately 700 students in a varietyof projects such as the Housing and NeighborhoodDevelopment (HAND) program.

Last fall, student service leaders andadministrators compromised on the reportsrecommendations. Facing threats of succession fromthe College from then PBHA President John B. King'95-'96, Knowles announced that he will maintainthe current structure until the spring of 1996.

But Knowles's conciliatory gesture loses muchof its effect with his choice of Lewis. Knowlesindicated in November that he would leave thedecision on the committee's recommendations up tothe new assistant dean, who would be advised byLewis.

In a memo to Jewett last November, Knowleswrote, "With your help and that of your successor[Lewis], the assistant dean will be able toassess...the internal structure and the strengthsof the staff...before making changes consistentwith the spirit of the Report and with themaintenance of the current overall size of thestaff."

But PBH Executive Director Greg A. Johnson '72said yesterday the selection process for the newdean has been slow thus far. Knowles, whoappointed Lewis, had promised to appoint a searchcommittee for the new dean in December, but thatcommittee has still not been formed.

"They haven't advertised the position, "saidJohnson. "We've all recommended that they do notcombine the director and dean of publicservice...because that would be putting twopositions into one."

Johnson added that the responsibilities of thenew dean are unclear. But he said that he willapply for the new position once it is advertised.

Ken Smith, the assistant director of PBHA, alsointends to vie for the post, Johnson said.

But Johnson said the report is vague and thedetails will be worked out in its implementation.

"The recommendations were ambiguous at first,"he said. "It was almost in the implementation thata lot of these realities seem to definethemselves."

Johnson added, "I would consider having thingshierarchically so that [Director of Public ServiceGail L. Epstein] reported to me rather than haveparallel functions. [I support] some streamlining,but things are working well in public service."

King could not be reached for commentyesterday. But he told The Crimson in October thathe strongly supported keeping Johnson.

"The Executive Director of PBHA signs off onabout $100,000 of grants and funding proposals,"King said. "If [Johnson] is let go in the middleof his contract [which ends this June], there'sambiguity about whether he'll feel comfortablesigning off on those grants."

"We're losing 20 years of experience in thatposition," King added.

King said in November that PBHA would considerwith drawing from the auspices of the Universityif Johnson's position were eliminated.

"We could hire our own staff and raise our ownendowment money, "King said, adding that many PBHAstaff members would leave if Johnson weredismissed.

If Lewis supports the recommendations made inthe report and encourages his assistant dean to dolikewise, public service leaders may findthemselves repeating King's warning to theCollege.

Student Groups

Although intended to promote efficiency throughrestructuring, the report also suggests that theCollege provide guidance to student organizationsthrough training sessions on organizationalmanagement.

And the faculty should be charged withallocating funds for student arts, dance, musicand drama groups on campus. Currently funding forstudent activities is jointly administered by Deanof Students Archie C. Epps III and by Jewett.

As dean, Lewis will be able to directlyimplement these suggestions.

Knowles was criticized by student leaders fornot considering student opinions when choosingLewis. Although students had clamored for a spoton the dean's search committee, Knowles neverpublicly established that committee.

Alex H. Cho `96, co-president of the AsianAmerican Association, told The Crimson in Novemberthat he was pessimistic about the possibility ofany serious student involvement in the deansearch.

"The administration has not been all that opento students in terms of decision making," Chosaid.

But Knowles did meet with several UndergraduateCouncil leaders before choosing Jewett'ssuccessor.

"Most of what we talked about was thestructure," said Justin C. Label `97, the outgoingchair of the Student Affairs Committee andpresidential candidate.

"I was impressed with the interest whichKnowles took in...student concerns," he saidyesterday.

Label said he and three others attended themeeting with Knowles: former UC President David L.Hanselman `94-`95, former Vice-President BrandonC. Gregoire `95, and Bradford E. Miller `97,outgoing vice chair of the Student AffairsCommittee and Crimson editor.

Gregoire, who served with Lewis on theQuantitative Reasoning Requirement Committee, saidLewis will take student concerns into account.

"He always seemed like a nice guy, open to whatI had to say," said Gregoire. "It seemed like hehad a good perspective on how Harvard operates."

Gregoire added that he would like to havefaculty liaisons to the UC, as the reportrecommends.

"It would be great to have a neutral, thirdparty that we could consult," he said.

But he wants the liaisons to act strictly in anadvisory capacity.

"I wouldn't want to have people overseeing thecouncil," Gregoire said.

Randomization

Lewis is also likely to implement the report'srecommendation that the house lottery system berandomized.

Last semester, a majority of the house mastersvoted to endorse house randomization and, with themasters' support, Lewis will be given a virtualcarte blanche in implementing the policy.

The report also recommended that House officesbe reorganized, a suggestion which has receivedaccolades from masters concerned with issues ofdiversity.

"He has shown a vision and a direction for theHouses in the report," said Karel Liem, DunsterHouse master.

House Master Sandra Naddaff said she is happyto have a dean who has experience in academia.

Lewis is the College's first professor to serveas dean since 1971, according to a letter Knowlessent to colleagues.

"I think he has knowledge about theadministrative side of the College as well as theacademic side of the College," said Naddaff. "Iwould love to see the academic life of the housesstrengthened: more house seminars, house tutorialsand the departments strengthened."

Computer Science

Lewis' appointment has drawn considerablepraise from his colleagues and from students. Buthis departure will place a burden on the ComputerScience Department.

"Overall, Harry is wonderful!" said GordonMcKay Assistant Professor of Computer ScienceMargo I. Seltzer in an electronic mail messageyesterday. "He's understanding, supportive andfun."

But Seltzer added that the computer sciencedepartment will have to find a way to account formany of Lewis' responsibilities.

"The College's gain is our loss," she said. "Wewill all have to shoulder a bit more of theday-to-day operation of the department that Harryhas always has taken care of."

To take on his new role, Lewis will teach onlyone course, instead of the three he will havetaught this year.

Lewis is a popular teacher whom students saywill be missed.

"As a teacher, he was very interesting," saidMatthew L. Williams `97, who took Computer Science121 with Lewis in the fall. "He was also myadvisor in the concentration and I found him veryhelpful and caring. He definitely took a stronginterest in my life."

Another Computer Science 121 student, who spokeon the condition of anonymity, called Lewis aunique instructor.

The student noted an incident last semesterwhen Lewis suggested to his class that they visitthe Bureau of Study Counsel so they may understanda particularly difficult subject matter. Lewis hadapparently made special arrangements with theoffice for his students.

"I have never had a professor say that in acourse," the student said.

A Man With A Plan?

If Lewis has left his successor in the ComputerScience Department big shoes to fill, he hasissued himself an even larger challenge bycoauthoring the report which may shape his tenureas dean.

In any case, it is certain that Lewis will haveno small task before him when he steps intoJewett's office this July.

Public Service

Student Groups

Randomization

Computer Science

A Man With A Plan?