Buddhism Lecturer Speaks

By Bradley L. Whitman

In an effort to increase awareness of Tantric Buddhism, the Harvard-Radcliffe Chinese Students Association (CSA) sponsored a speech by San Francisco lecturer Thomas Lin-Yun on "Fengshui, Ch'i, and Life" last night.

Approximately 200 people crowded into Boylston Auditorium for the lecture. Lin, currently a consultant for Wang Computers, conducted the lecture in Mandarin, which was then translated for the audience.

Lin's goal was "to educate the Harvard community and the Boston community about the ancient Chinese art of fengshui and its application to ch'i and life in general," said CSA Co-President Eugene Chiu '97.

The audience, however, was not limited to those who believed in fengshui. Lin, a leading expert on fengshui and a master of the Black Sect Tantric Buddhism, prefaced his lecture by saying: "I am not her to proselytize."

But he went on to add: "Perhaps what I am saying is false. [Tantric Buddhism] is an alternative way of approaching reality, an alternative way of approaching the world."

During his lecture, Lin concentrated on the concepts of fengshui, ch'i and how they relate to the way people lead their lives. Ch'i, he explained, is the vital force that allows human bodies to move and defines people's nature and character.

Lin then explored the various types of ch'i and how they manifest themselves within individuals. In particular, he discussed various types of ch'i such as porcupine ch'i, a ch'i characterized by obnoxiousness and bamboo ch'i, a ch'i possessed by someone who does not listen to others.

Because of the important role ch'i plays in determining personalities, Lin offered several suggestions on how to change the bad ch'i to the good. Possibilities include meditation, spiritual activity and adjustment of fengshui.

Fengshui, one's living and working environment, can be altered by arranging the physical objects within a room or house to bring them into harmony, Lin said. In particular, he noted that the position of one's bed and one's first sight upon entering a house play important roles in determining fengshui.

Lin said, however, that fengshui only partially determines one's success in life. Other factors such as fate, luck and the doing of good deeds deserve consideration as well, he said.

The response to the lecture was overwhelmingly positive. "It was very well presented," said Jeff Szieto '97, aCSA member. "He was able to link certain fengshuiconcepts to a scientific basis," he added.

Others said they found the religious aspects ofthe lecture appealing. "Fengshui was something Ihave always sort of believed in, but I never wasaware of the specifics of why people believed init", said Alex Chou '97, CSA's secretary.

The lecture also drew many of non-Chinese andnon-Asian background. Betty Nhan ' 98, a member ofthe audience, said she was particularly surprisedat the number of non-Asians who attended thelecture.

Members of the CSA leadership said they saw thelecture as part of a broader effort to reach outto the community.

"As the Chinese Students Association one of ourgoals is to spread awareness and culturalunderstanding to Harvard and the Bostoncommunity," explained CSA Co-President JocelynThien '97.

Chiu said the considered the lecture to be agreat success. "The response from the Harvardcommunity and the Boston community was immense,"he said