Cognitive Neuroscience Concentration Established

By Sarah E. Scrogin

The College departments of psychology and biology announced yesterday a program that will allow undergraduates pursuing joint concentrations to follow a cognitive neuroscience track.

According to an outline of the concentration released by the psychology department, concentrators will be able to apply research in underlying brain processes with many facets of psychology.

"The Cognitive Neuroscience Track is designed to equip students with the basic tools needed to pursue graduate study in biologically rooted psychology," the outline reads.

Undergraduates who choose to pursue the honors-only concentration must complete 17 half-courses and an honors thesis, according to the psychology department's outline.

Sean Harriman, administrator of the psychology department's undergraduate program, said the "department here has had a psycho-bio track for some ten years or more."

First-years wishing to join the concentration should join the psychology department this spring and apply to the joint concentration in the fall, according to Harriman's release.