Anti Semitism Not Well-Defined

TO THE EDITORS

After reading the report of spreading "anti-Semitic conspiracy theories" ("Foxman Decries Anti-Semitism," news story, Apr.7, 1995), one wonders if the speaker was looking in the mirror and talking about himself.

In the brief report, we learn that Louis Farrakhan, Madonna, Leonard Jeffries, David Duke, Pat Buchanan and Khalid Mohammed are all anti-Semitic. But others who 1) believe Americans Jews are too powerful, too successful or too influential 2) deny the Holocaust occurred or 3) accuse Jews of engagin in a disproportionate share of the Atlantic slave trade are also anti-Semitic. The report reminds me of a speech by Abba Eban in the 1950s, wherein he concluded his long list of anti-Semites by declaring that the whole world was anti-Semitic.

It is unfortunate that an educated man, trained in legal thought, equates criticism with anti-Semitism. Does attorny Foxman believe that his accusations of racism and anti-Semitism, hurled like characterassassin bombs, will help promote tolerance, understanding and harmony between races and religions? It is perplexing that Foxman, a great rhetoritician, uses the tactics he decries.

Although I was raised a Jews, to discredit my criticism of Israel and the 40 years of anti-Defamation League spying on Americans I was designated Italian and anti-Semitic. After 10 years, I am still vilified as a bigoted Italian, though neither of my parents came form that country. It shows the extent of deceptions employed by Foxman and his though police. For a lengthy description of these and other tactics to discredit critics, see Prof. Noam Chomsky's Fateful triangle. Roy Bercaw   Cambridge, MA