Wigglesworth Resident Falls Through Window

A first-year student fell from a third floor window of Wigglesworth G entry-way that faced Mass. Ave. at 7:15 a.m. Friday morning, according to Harvard officials.

According to Harvard spokesperson Alex Huppe, a Harvard employee spotted the student and reported it to Cambridge Emergency Paramedics as well as the Harvard Police, who quickly responded. The student was then taken to Beth Israel Hospital.

Several students yesterday identified the student as Jacob Carson '99.

Carson could have been seriously injured in the fall, because a series of spikes sit atop the gate separating Wigglesworth from Mass. Ave. But Huppe said there were no apparent injuries as of Friday, because the student landed on the "heavily mulched" area between the fence and the first-year dorm.

"Apparently the student was very lucky," Huppe said.

Yesterday, Jared Curhan, the proctor in H entry-way, said the student is "doing fine."

Assistant Dean of Freshmen David B. Fithian, who oversees Wigglesworth, declined to comment when he was reached at home late last night, citing the student's right to confidentiality.

Carson's roommate reported that the student was unavailable yesterday evening and directed all inquiries to the Harvard News Office.

A resident of H entry-way said there was a proctor meeting informing students of the incident the day of the incident.

Several students in G entry-way refused to comment on the matter. One student on the third floor said, "I am not supposed to talk about it."

Brian A. Kennedy '98, who works in the serials department in Widener Library, said he walked by Wigglesworth at 7:45 and saw paramedics putting the first-year into an ambulance.

Kennedy said that some of his Widener coworkers asked him whether he knew the "naked student who jumped out the window."

Kennedy said that he later looked at the scene, and saw a six-inch imprint in the ground where it appeared that the student's feet had landed