Breakout!

ATHLETE OF THE WEEK

You know you've been waiting for it.

Sophomore midfielder Cailan MacPherson was.

"We have a great goal scorer in (captain) Tom McLaughlin and he will pull through for us," MacPherson said before Sunday's game against B.U.

All season long you've been waiting for the men's soccer captain to burst out and show his offensive prowess to everyone in the country and dominate a game. Against B.U. he did just that.

McLaughlin, last season's Ivy League scoring leader, netted two goals and assisted on two others in Harvard's 5-0 domination of B.U.

In the course of 15 minutes early in the second half, McLaughlin scored the first goal of the game and assisted two more, turning what had been a tightly fought game into a blowout.

"[McLaughlin] is such a dominant player that he is going to create opportunities for himself and the team," said sophomore Tim Wyant who fed McLaughlin for the first goal and was fed by him for the second.

This breakout, led by McLaughlin, was starkly contrasted with the Crimson's previous three games in which the offense and the team struggled. Harvard netted zero goals during that time frame while opponents scored nine.

McLaughlin's two assists tripled the season total for the striker and brought him to within three of Harvard's all-time assists record of 23. A few more performances like Sunday's will leave the senior's mark in the record books just as his mark was left on the field against the Terriers.