Jewish Students Begin New Year Festivities

By Caille M. Millner, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

The ball didn't drop on Times Square last night, but the New Year begins for Harvard's Jewish community today.

Rosh Hashanah, which began at sundown last night, marks the beginning of the Jewish calendar year. For many members of the Jewish community, the holiday is an opportunity for a new start.

"It's a day of atonement," said Benjamin A. Flusberg '01. Flusberg, an Orthodox Jew, said he spent last year studying Jewish beliefs in Israel. "For me, it's the time in which I think about myself and what I want to accomplish this year."

About 200 people attended orthodox services held at the Sheraton Commander Hotel yesterday.

Participants sang Hebrew hymns and listened as the rabbi blew a shofar, a ram's horn used since the days of ancient Israel as a call to the services. The rabbi, wearing long white robes, led the participants in a short, solemn service concentrating on hopes for the new year.

Some people at the services expressed their hopes for peace in the Middle East.

"I think a lot about the nation as a whole on this day," Flusberg said. "It's not necessarily a day to engage in political activity, but of course I'm thinking about the future of Israel as the big picture."

More than 200 worshipers gathered at the Hillel for an evening of traditional celebration in Hebrew, followed by dinner. The conservative services were simple but well-received by many participants.

"We don't have our own building or a community like the one here," said Espree D. Kessler, a first-year at nearby Emerson College. "These services were absolutely beautiful."

"It's especially appropriate that we're starting something new here, and this is a very symbolic expression of a new period," said Rachel S. C. Friedman '01.

To welcome first-years into the community, the services were led by members of the Class of 2001. Young students led the traditional Hebrew chanting, a wave of call-and-response songs and poetry from the audience.

"It was a wonderful experience," said Dorothy P. Weiss '01, one of three service leaders. "The Jewish community here is very warm and accepting."

Hundreds of people also gathered in Memorial Church last night for Reform services.

During the one-and-a-half hour services, the rabbi spoke about the need for Harvard students to strive for self-fulfillment rather than a stringent idea of success.

"Judaism insists that you don't have to be the best to be good," said Rabbi Sally Finestone.

Many students said they liked the services and the rabbi's words.

"She was excellent," said Daniel Yadegar '99. "I was glad to hear her say that."

All three communities will be holding services this morning and regularly until Yom Kippur, on Oct. 10