U.C. Will Run Charity Unothon

By Emily B. Wong, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

A game of Uno sometimes feels as though it will last forever. This time, that's the goal.

An Unothon, run by the Undergraduate Council, is scheduled to start at midnight on Nov. 6 and last as long as possible.

Mattel, the maker of the Uno card game, is sponsoring the national event in conjunction with Comic Relief--a community service organization founded by Robin Williams, Whoopi Goldberg and Billy Crystal.

All proceeds from Harvard's Unothon will go to Boston Health Care for the Homeless, which provides legal, medical and counseling services for Boston-area homeless.

Six other colleges will compete with Harvard in the Unothon. The college that raises the most money by continuously playing Uno will win.

Mattel will reward the winning college with a comedy show featuring Comic Relief performers.

Mattel executives have not said who will perform, but Catherine D. Rucker '99, the event coordinator, said she has been promised that "they will make it worth our while."

Council organizers distributed pledge sheets to all Harvard students last week.

The rules stated that each students had to raise $25 in order to participate.

Recently, however, Rucker has changed her mind about the feasibility of that sum and wants to announce a change in the rules.

"I am worried that $25 is a lot of money to try to get students to raise. So, those who would like to play are encouraged to sign up with any small donation they might have," she said.

Council President Lamelle D. Rawlins '99 encouraged students to sign up, ensuring that "we're not losing any student money on this event. If it doesn't work out, we can return [the sponsors'] money."

The Unothon will be held in Loker Commons. Students will play for two hours and then pass their hands on to the next shift.

"Obviously [it will be] a little inconvenient at some times," said event organizer Samuel C. Cohen '00. "But it's a good enough cause that people will be willing to put in some odd hours."

Students who want to sign up should bring pledge sheets to Holworthy Basement on November 1.