Complaints Over Bus Issues Keep Coming

By Michael E. Thakur, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

The Cambridge School Committee met last night at Cambridge Rundge and Latin School and discussed the district's current busing policy, which has prompted several letters of complaint from local parents.

Under the current policy, students who live less than a mile from school are not provided busing except under certain situations, such as if walking safety barriers--such as railroad tracks--exist.

Currently, the school district utilizes a three-tier starting time, allowing for fewer buses, to reduce costs. The district's annual budget for transportation is $2.4 million.

Jim Conroy, executive director of management, told the committee that adding ten new buses would cost the district $300,000 and would take a month to implement.

Further discussion on the busing policy was tabled for the next meeting.

Bonnie D'Alessandro, the new superintendent who took office on Oct. 1, was greeted at the meeting's opening with a bouquet of flowers presented by Cambridge Mayor Sheila Doyle Russell.

"I am honored to serve in a community that's so caring," D'Alessandro said upon receiving the gift.

E. Denise Simmons, vice chair, recommended that the committee send a letter of condolence to the family of Jeffrey Curley, the 10-year-old murder victim whose body was found yesterday in a Maine river.

The meeting adjourned early to allow committee members to attend the community meeting at the Harrington School about the death of Jeffrey Curley.