Interception Puts Final Nail in Coffin

* Jackson's 67-yard TD interception put the final nail in the Quaker coffin

By Zachary T. Ball, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

They weren't vultures, but the birds at Harvard stadium started circling the carcass of the Penn football team as early as the second quarter. Harvard dominated the proceedings from the opening kick, but it was Glenn Jackson's 67-yard interception return for a touchdown late in the second quarter that seemed to seal the Quakers' fate.

After netting zero first downs in its first six possessions, Penn, trailing 14-0, seemed to mount a drive, running 15 plays covering 38 yards to the Harvard 27.

It ended abruptly, however, when Jackson snagged a deflected and tipped throw into the left flat. Jackson hurdled two players, and outran the Penn quarter-back for six points. The play put Harvard up 20-0 with 1:41 remaining in the half, and considering the sloppy conditions that made quick strikes highly unlikely, the lead appeared safe heading into the intermission.

"It was a great play. [Jackson] had a terrific play. that's a big momentum swing, they were really coming back...it was what we needed," said senior offensive tackle Matt Birk.

Records Anyone?

To appreciate where this team fits into the history of Harvard football, one has only to look at the record books.

Senior wide receiver Colby Skelton has already surpassed Harvard's career marks for, among others, receptions (127), receiving yards (1948) and punt return yardage (782).

But in the same receiving core, senior Jared Chupaila is fourth in career catches with 71, three catches shy of third all-time.

In the backfield, sophomore quarterback Rich Linden is enjoying what will likely be the best season in Harvard history. Linden is a mere 157 yards short of the single-season passing record at 2,134. And with two full seasons left in his Harvard career, a healthy Linden will almost certainly break Harvard's career passing mark which is 4,407 yards.

However, the rushing game is just as impressive. Sophomore Chris Menick now has 1,100 yards on the season, one yard shy of the record set by Eion Hu '97. Additionally, Menick tied Harvard's record for touchdowns in a season yesterday, scoring his 13th of the year.

Granted, freshman eligibility skews the career numbers of many of today's players in comparison to players in the past, but this year's squad may very well contain the greatest tailback, quarterback and wideout in Harvard history.

Even before yesterday's shut victory, Harvard's defense was ranked ninth nationally in I-AA pass efficiency defense and scoring defense, 10th in rushing defense and 21st in total defense.

Add all that together and it's relatively easy to imagine why this team has rolled through the Ivy league. Only Princeton--aided by cold, rainy conditions that hampered both offenses--has been able to stay within 24 points of the Crimson in-conference.

Drives Don't Stop

No matter how potent the offense, every team must prevent drives from dying by converting on third and fourth downs. This season, Harvard has been unbelievably efficient in the clutch.

Harvard has converted 40 percent of its third downs and an amazing 68 percent on fourth down, including all four back-breaking fourth down plays yesterday.

The opposition, by contrast, has converted only 22 and 20 percent of its third and fourth downs, respectively.

Creative play calling may have something to do with this success. Three of Harvard's fourth-down conversions yesterday came on pass plays, including both fourth and goal from the one-yard line plays. In both cases, the Crimson brought out a double tight end, full house backfield in anticipation of a run, only to have Linden pull up and find tight ends junior Chris Eitzmann and senior Tom Giardi uncovered in the end zone.

"I simply felt like we would get it...I felt like it was there to be had," Harvard coach Tim Murphy said of the goaline gameplan.

As for the truly impressive ability of the Crimson to convert on third and long, the scouting report effectively honed in on weaknesses in the Penn man coverage. As a result, Linden threw to more sideline and out routes than he has in previous weeks, but with no apparent drop-off in success.

"[We thought we would] see some man coverage and could hit those quick outs," Linden said. "...the coaches told me to read, and if [a particular] linebacker drops off, [a certain] receiver will be open, and that's the way it was all day.

Smoke and Mirrors

The tone for yesterday's contest was set from the opening kick. In the first four plays of the game, Penn fumbled the opening kick, but recovered, then tossed back to a halfback pass option for its first play from scrimmage, which was defended from its inception and never had a chance of success. After a run for no gain, the Quakers completed a nine yard pass on third-and-10, and were forced to punt the ball away.

The series is indicative of the frustrated, sloppy and desperate manner in which Penn played the game. After mishandling the fundamental kickoff return, the Quakers tried a gimmicky, deceptive halfback pass. That play having failed, the Harvard defense could not help but believe that it was facing a somewhat worried opponent grasping for straws before the game even started.

"We may have thought they were a little desperate to try something like that so early," said senior defensive end Chris Smith.

On third-and-10, the Quakers then threw short of the chains to a receiver on his knees. The route gave the Quakers no chance of keeping their drive alive, and represents the kind of mental lapses that characterized the Penn effort yesterday.

"We started shaky from the opening kick...and it went downhill from there," siad Penn Coach Al Bagnoli.

Yale or Fail

Harvard goes into The Game this year with a much different attitude than in the past. Whereas in seasons past, Yale has been Harvard's opportunity to salvage something good out of a mediocre or frustrating season. This year's squad heads to New Haven with a mission to ensure an outright Ivy title.

"[In the past], we were just playing for ourselves and pride," Burke said. "Now we're still playing for ourselves and for our pride, but we're also playing to be undisputed Ivy champions. [This] is the position we want to be in.

Yale or Fail