Computer Society Elects New Leaders

By Laura C. Semerjian, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

The Harvard Computer Society (HCS) held its annual elections last Sunday, inducting three new officers into its ranks.

Carl P. Sjogreen '00 was elected president, David B. Alpert '99 was elected business manager and Michael J. Epstein '99 was elected secretary.

Sjogreen, who is replacing current president Justin T. Lin '98, will begin his term in January, the 15th anniversary of HCS in its current form.

According to Sjogreen, HCS will continue working on "new and exciting projects like the Harvard calendar," which currently appears on the Harvard College Web site.

"We have to keep doing more of the same things better," he said.

Alpert, who will be replacing Sjogreen as business manager, said that HCS has had many exciting developments over the past year and said he plans to help the Harvard Computer Society "to continue to grow."

Lin feels that all three new board members will do a good job next semester.

"I've worked personally with all three of the new board members," he said. "I'm entirely confident that they'll do a great job."

Lin emphasized that HCS' strength lies in its members and said that he hopes the new board will build upon that strength.

According to Lin, HCS is Harvard's oldest and foremost undergraduate organization devoted to computers and technology. HCS publishes the Harvard Calendar on the Harvard College Web site, online magazine, the Harvard Computer Review and Computers at Harvard.

The organization also provides 300 other student organizations with e-mail and Web accounts.

Lin says that HCS is working with the Undergraduate Council to create an online marketplace which would allow students to buy and sell items like textbooks. The marketplace should be up and running in January.