Union Ratifies Joint Agreement Preventing Cuts

Joint Benefits Committee Will Continue Working Towards Part-Time Workers

By Matthew W. Granade

The Harvard Union of Clerical and Technical Workers (HUCTW) voted Thursday to ratify a joint University-HUCTW agreement that will halt a reduction of part-time worker health benefits for another year. The agreement, first announced last month, was endorsed by 89 percent of HUCTW's 3,600 members.

According to the agreement, part-time workers will receive the same health benefits as full-time workers for another year while negotiators work on a final compromise. Changes in wage agreements and workers' short term disability plans will offset the cost of the health benefits.

The agreement also includes two 4 percent salary increases effective July 1997 and 1998.

"The leadership of the union was recommending this agreement to members of the union with enthusiasm as a solid piece of progress," said Bill Yaeger, director of the union. "[Its ratification] was not a surprise."

HUCTW has battled the University's proposal to reduce part-time workers' health benefits since 1994 when the University first announced the cuts. University and Union officials hailed yesterday's vote as a major step in a three year stalemate.

"We're extremely happy that we were able to reach an agreement and the [health] benefits won't be cut," said Donene M. Williams, president of HUCTW.

But negotiations are far from complete. The Joint-Committee on Benefits, made up of Union and University officials, will continue to work towards a permanent settlement.

Though officials admit that this temporary agreement could land the University and the union in the same situation next year, both sides were optimistic yesterday.

"I wouldn't be surprised if sometime in the next six months we'll be able to announce a final agreement that is cost conscious in other ways and not burdensome for our low income workers," said Yaeger.

Harvard officials sounded a more cautious note.

"We're not going to speculate or predict anything [about the future]," said Joseph G. Wrinn Jr., director of the Harvard News Office. "We're happy with what's happened today."

Union officials also applauded the joint agreement as a major ideological shift in the University's approach to part-time workers' benefits.

"I would like to think that we've agreed in a very significant way to mutually prefer an alternative to a [health care benefits] cut," Yaeger said.

The stand-off between HUCTW and the University intensified this winter when Union workers began picketing daily outside of Mass. Hall.

Thursday's settlement prevented the 15 percent cut in part-time worker's health care benefits. The reduction would have increased worker's health care expenses by up to $600 a year, Williams said.

--Ariel R. Frank contributed to the reporting of this story.