Spears Selected For Commission

Funeral Parlor Owner Will Again Serve on Cambridge Election Board

By Sadie H. Sanchez

Artis Spears, the co-owner of a Cambridge funeral parlor, was unanimously selected as the first choice for Election Commissioner by the Cambridge Republican City Committee last week.

Spears, who ran unopposed for the committee's first choice, has served on the commission since 1980 and has chaired the commission for the last two years.

Cambridge's election commission consists of two Democrats and two Republicans, each of whom serves a four-year term.

Every year one seat on the commission is made available, and the city's Democratic and Republican committees alternate in nominating individuals to fill the position.

Election commissioners are the city's only paid officials who are chosen by committee members of a political party.

The Republican City Committee's second and third choices are its current chair, David Trumball, and committee treasurer Paul DeLeo, respectively.

City Manager Robert Healy, who makes the final appointments, is bound by law to appoint one of the committee's three recommendations, Trumball said.

Spears said Haley's office recently informed her that she will be reappointed to the part-time position.

Trumball said that even if Healy had nominated him or DeLeo, they would have deferred their nominations to Spears.

The commission oversees all elections, administers the census, and is currently directing the transition to computerized ballot-counting.

The Republican City Committee looks for personal integrity and activity in local politics when selecting candidates for the position, Trumball said.

Spears, a Cambridge resident of 32 years, was nominated by Mary Samp, wife of longtime election commissioner Ed Samp and chair of the Ward Seven Republican Committee.

Samp's nomination "carries a lot of weight," Trumball said.

Before serving on the election commission Spears worked as a poll clerk for 16 years, she said.

Wayne "Rusty" Drugan, currently the other Republican election commissioner said Spears' work has been "well-received."

"She can speak candidly because [the public] knows she speaks the truth," Drugan said.

Spears said this is the last term she plans to seek as a commissioner.

The other members of the election commission are Democrats Darlene Bonislawski and Lynn Molnarty.