Hub Uses Harvard, Glitz to Entice 2000 Dem. Convention

Selection committee visited Boston, vicinity during June

By Marc J. Ambinder, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

It's not too often that politicians wine and dine other politicians and then brag about it in press releases and television appearances.

But in the quest to land a national political convention, the rules of campaign propriety are routinely sacrificed.

The city of Boston is considered a top candidate to land the 2000 Democratic National Convention, an event that brings prestige and money to its host city.

The Hub has stiff competition, and has the large negative of being of a solidly Democratic state and won't be one of the party's major concerns in 2000.

But the city is confident that in the end, its place in the nation's history will land it the second millennium's first national political convention.

Among the area's other top selling points? Fair Harvard and its modern dormitories.

The Cambridge campus is close to the city, and only about 55 minutes by foot of the Fleet Center, where the Convention would actually take place.

Rooms are wired for data so delegates can use e-mail and send faxes.

And with vigilant guards, Harvard rooms are secured better than many hotels.

During the summer, enough larger suites are open to satisfy the needs of delegates accustomed to more opulent accommodations than the usual Harvard digs.

Jacque Goddard, an aide to Boston mayor Thomas M. Menino, says the city has "informally" discussed housing delegates at Harvard, but says that no official contact with the Harvard administration has yet been made.

Still, numerous published reports reveal that city officials name-dropped the big "H" many times during their chance to play hosts for the site selection committee the week of June 21.

During the visit, the Democratic Party glitterati spent their mornings bargain-hunting at the downtown Filene's Basement. In the evenings they retreated to more refined establishments where they munchedon choice lobster.

A press release from the Mayor's officerevealed Menino's naked politicking: "A farewellbreakfast was held at the Cyclorama on TremontStreet in the South End. Some members areparticipating in a golf outing this afternoon at[The Country Club] in Brookline where the RyderCup will be played next year."

Conventional wisdom has it that the siteselection committee will choose the area the mostpolitically advantageous, and Los Angeles seems tohave the edge.

The most populous city in the most electorallyrich state in the union has undergone arenaissance in the past several years and now bothsafer and cleaner.

But Democrats might hesitate at the idea oftacitly endorsing the administration of L.A. MayorRichard J. Riordon, who many moderate Republicanshope may come to present a new face for the partyin future year.

However, Goddard says, conventional wisdomabout politics might not apply to the conventionsthemselves, a fact Boston officials made clear tothe visiting Democrats.

"In fact, we had someone on our staff researchthe conventions that were held in Los Angeles,"she says.

"[In the] majority of times, that party'snominee did not win the presidency."

Still, the mere fact that the top prospects forthe convention are located in bell-weather states;Miami (Florida,) Philadelphia (Pennsylvania,) LosAngeles (California) and Boston speaks to theconvention's primarily political role.

Another big concern: Boston's traffic, sure tobe exacerbated by the Tip O'Neill's going awaygift to the city, the Big Dig--and majorrenovations at Logan International Airport.

"We stressed the fact that this is a walkingcity," Goddard says.

"We expect fewer delays [in 2000] than we havenow.

Show Them!

Denver has pledged nearly $23 million dollars;Los Angeles has said they'll cough up more than$35 million. Whichever city is lucky enough tohost the convention can expect an economic boostof at least $100 million, not to mention hours ofnational television exposure.

With competitors in organization, money, andprestige, how realistic are Boston--andHarvard's--chances of landing the 2000 convention?

Steven P. Grossman, the general chair of theDemocratic National Committee and the man who canveto the site selection's decision, told TheCrimson that Boston "is going to be a player rightinto the finals."

"It's got the goods," he says.

However, Grossman, a life-long native of theHub, says he won't overrule the committee'sdecision.

"I must remain an objective cheerleader," hesays with a slight twinkle in his eye.

After November's decision, "we'll send sometechnical people [to the finalist sites]," hesaid.

"In January, we'll make our final decision.

Show Them!

"It's got the goods," he says.