Revenge of the Tuna: Jets Beat Pats, 24-14

FOXBORO--While Bill Parcells' aura hogged the attention, the usually invisible Kyle Brady stole the game for the New York Jets.

Brady caught two touchdown passes from Vinny Testaverde, including the winning one-yarder with 8:54 to go last night as the Jets surprised the New England Patriots, 24-14. Parcells, who left New England for New York before last season, is 2-1 against the Patriots, whom he led to the AFC title before departing.

Testaverde, who replaced inconsistent starter Glenn Foley this week, threw for 294 yards and three touchdowns. The 12-year veteran, who also was 2-0 when Foley was injured earlier this season, clinched it with a 44-yard strike to Dedric Ward with 3:29 to go.

For much of the night, the game lacked the fervor and excitement of Parcells' return to Foxboro last year, a 27-24 overtime victory for the Patriots. It had all the elements for a classic: eight former Patriots in Jets uniforms; a New England team and coach seeking to put aside the shadow of the highly publicized former coach; a Monday night audience; New York fighting to stay alive in the AFC East against the first-place team.

Instead, it was a workmanlike victory for the Jets (3-3)--but still their biggest under Parcells, who is considered by some New Englanders to be a deserter.

While Robert Edwards, the first-round pick from Georgia who has replaced Curtis Martin in New England's backfield, was setting an NFL record with touchdown runs in his first six games, Martin was just as effective. Martin, signed as a restricted free agent in the offseason, rushed for 107 yards to Edwards' 104.

But it was the unsung Brady who shined as the Jets became the only visiting team to win this week in the NFL. He had five receptions for 40 yards after entering the game with seven for 47 yards.

Aaron Glenn sparked New York's winning drive of 17 plays and 80 yards when he picked off Drew Bledsoe's ill-advised pass in the end zone late in the third quarter. Testaverde calmly spread the ball around on the long drive before Brady capped it by getting free in the flat.

The night began with pregame fireworks, then both offenses lit it up through the air on first-quarter drives.

The Jets went 56 yards in eight plays, sparked by Testaverde's completions of 20 yards to Keyshawn Johnson, 14 to Wayne Chrebet and 11 to Jerald Sowell to the New England 5. On third down, Brady slipped free in the flat and barely got into the end zone--although replays indicated he dropped the ball before crossing the goal line.

New England didn't flinch, marching 76 yards to Edwards' record-setting run on fourth down. Bledsoe hit Troy Brown for 18 yards and Ben Coates for 29, a pass that went off the hands of linebacker Pepper Johnson.