Crime Stats Show Thefts, Assaults Decreased

By Christopher C. Pappas, CONTRIBUTING WRITERS

The Cambridge Police Department (CPD) recently released 3rd quarter crime statistics that show a slight decrease in the overall crime rate, including a 32 percent drop in the number of bicycle thefts, in Cambridge for the first nine months of 1998.

The statistics indicate significant decreases in narcotics arrests, malicious destruction of property and larceny, while showing modest increases in robbery and burglary.

Although the number of larceny incidents decreased overall by just five percent, the number of bicycle thefts plunged from 387 to 265, and automobile thefts dropped 20 percent from 391 to 314.

Harvard University Police Department (HUPD) spokesperson Peggy McNamara said law enforcement officials from Harvard and MIT, under the jurisdiction of the CPD, teamed up to combat the growing bicycle theft problem.

"We were doing sting operations and undercover work to increase our presence and knowledge of what goes on," McNamara said. "Whether that was a factor, at this point I don't know."

About half of the stolen bikes in Cambridge were locked at the time of theft, according to the report.

"As usual, the Harvard Square area showed a cluster of thefts from streets, sign poles, and bicycle racks," the report reads. "The numbers, however, have not been nearly as high as in past years."

But while some crime rates plunged, others, like robbery, edged higher. The number of robberies increased 12 percent to 156. While commercial robbery decreased 11 percent, street robbery was up 16 percent.

Despite the increase in street robbery for the first three quarters of 1998, the year's total will likely be far lower than 240, the average of the yearly totals for the past decade, according to the report. Before the increase recorded during the first nine months of 1998, the number of street robberies had been declining precipitously, hitting a 30-year low last year.

The report cited weather as a factor that influenced the number of robberies, noting that street thieves historically have stepped up their criminal activities during winter months when darkness sets in early.

"The winter of 1998 produced few snowstorms or blustery days, allowing street robbers to become more active," the report reads.

The burglary increase in July and August was also blamed on the favorable weather.

Figures for these two months contributed to the 10 percent increase in burglary for the first nine months of the year. The increase was equally distributed between residential and commercial incidents.

The report says that Harvard Square has the fourth highest rate of commercial burglary of the major business centers in Cambridge, and that many of these crimes involve homeless individuals in search of shelter.

Other statistics generally showed a decrease or no change compared with last year's numbers. Incidents of malicious destruction of property--by far the most commonly reported crime in Cambridge--fell 14 percent from 689 to 595 occurrences. The number of rapes reported, 17, equaled the 1997 figure, while aggravated assault arrests sank 4 percent.

Prostitution, indecent exposure and disorderly conduct charges also showed modest decreases.

Even though narcotics arrests decreased 17 percent from 146 to 120, the statistic does not necessarily represent a drop in drug usage.

"When evaluating statistics for drug arrests, it is important to keep in mind that the numbers reflect only arrests or complaints, and do not include all incidents of drug use in a particular area," the report reads.

Although the report shows no murders through September, the final tallies for the year will include two homicides from an Oct. 16 double murder. For the same nine-month period in 1997, two murders were recorded.

The report says the figure is consistent with the average yearly murder rate of 2.5 during the 1990s. In the 1980s, Cambridge had a murder rate of 4.5.

The CPD report says both figures are well below the national average of 10 for a city of comparable size.

CPD officials were not available for comment yesterday.