Delhi Darbar Closes

By Adam M. Taub, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

It's a simple case of supply and demand.

Delhi Darbar, one of several Indian restaurants in Harvard Square, closed Nov. 15, and a new Tibetan restaurant, Rising Moon, will open in its place next week.

With two other Indian restaurants in Harvard Square and two in nearby Central Square, some say competition forced Delhi Darbar out.

"There was no business there. I don't know why," said Blbir Singh, who owns the Cafe of India on Brattle Street.

Dechen T. Dongshi, who shares ownership of the new Tibetan restaurant Rising Moon with her husband, father and sister, said she hopes that the absence of Tibetan restaurants in the Square will work to their advantage.

"It's the only Tibetan restaurant that is going to be here," Dongshi said.

Rising Moon, located on Holyoke Street, is one of only two restaurants in Massachusetts serving traditional Tibetan cuisine, according to Dongshi. The only other, the House of Tibet Kitchen in Teele Square in Somerville, is owned by Dongshi's aunt.

Tibetan food is a unique blend of Chinese, Indian and Thai cuisine.

Dongshi said they heard about the opening in the Square in September through the National Restaurant Brokers. Dongshi and her family have been renovating the space since Nov. 16.

In addition to cleaning the restaurant, Dongshi said they have repainted it red, yellow and green, traditional Tibetan colors. Behind the counter, a framed poster of the Dalai Lama hangs prominently.

The menu will not include yak, authentic Tibetan fare which is hard to come by in Massachusetts. It will, however, include momo, a popular dumpling like appetizer. Thukpa, a hearty noodle soup, will be on the menu as an entree. Exotic drinks like lassi and fruit lassi, yogurt-based shakes, are also available.

Rising Moon will serve breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Jaspal Pabla, the former owner of Delhi Darbar, will try his hand elsewhere. According to Jaswinder Singh, Pabla's cousin and an employer at the Cafe of India, Pabla will work at a new Indian restaurant, Bhukhara, in Jamaica Plain.

Pabla could not be reached for comment yesterday.