Woodbridge Society Plans Holiday for Foreign Students

Group plans trips, movies for vacation weekend

By Jonelle M. Lonergan, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

This afternoon, as hundreds of students begin flowing out of their rooms and into the subway to begin their trip home, a few solitary souls will be left behind.

"My parents live in Egypt and my roommates are both international students," said Sam L. Sternin, a Quincy House sophomore who will stay on campus this week.

But while students like Sternin may not see their families over the holiday, they won't be lonely. The Woodbridge Society, an organization that supports foreign students at Harvard, is trying to cheer up Thanksgiving recess on campus.

The group will have a table for dinner over the holiday weekend in the Quincy House dining room specifically for its members. The Society has also planned informal get-togethers, movies and outings in the Square throughout the weekend.

"It's basically very informal," said Darryl C. Li '01, a Woodbridge Society board member.

"There's just an unofficial table so everyone knows someone will be there to eat with," Li said.

Li said a majority of international students at Harvard leave the campus during Thanksgiving, yet added that the society's work is critical for those who remain.

The tone of the holiday events is "just very relaxed," Li said, adding, "everyone just gets some other students to talk to and chill with."

Students who will be on campus said they appereciate the society's efforts.

Faisal Khalid '02, whose family lives in Pakistan, is one of those students. Khalid said he plans to attend all the Woodbridge events this weekend.

"No one should eat alone at Thanksgiving," Khalid said. "This way, we can have a fun time together and not feel alone."

The society is already looking forward to the winter holidays by starting its Winter Housing Program, which helps find housing for first-year international students who have nowhere to go over winter recess.

While the Houses will remain open over the break, all first-year dormitories will be closed, and students will be required to find another place to stay.

"Freshmen are, so to speak, left out in the cold" Li said. "Our goal is to get to them ahead of time and make sure that they have someplace to stay."

Options for first-years in this situation include staying with upperclassmen in residence over the break or being paired by the Freshman Dean's Office with a host family.

The Woodbridge Society was founded four years ago and was originally intended to be a support system for international students, Li said.

Now the Society's goals include promoting "a spirit of internationalism and multiculturalism," according to the group's Web site.

The group holds a variety of events throughout the year, including monthly faculty dinners, a speaker series and monthly Barazas, which are casual social events featuring ethnic food and music.

Sternin said the group is a valuable tool for making foreign students feel more comfortable in America.

"I think it's valuable in bringing international students together, which can help them deal with adjusting to the culture here," he said.

Sternin said that while he'd like to attend some of the Thanksgiving events Woodbridge has planned, he's also taking advantage of the time off.

"I'd like to catch up my sleep and get ahead in some work," he said.