Undergraduate Council Candidates Kick Off Campaigns For Top Seats

Students pay little attention to posters, issues

By Tova A. Serkin, CONTRIBUTING WRITERS

Candidates for the Undergraduate Council presidency and vice presidency officially kicked off their campaigns last night at 12:01 a.m., plastering kiosks and dormitory windows with colorful signs and literature.

"The campaign is in high gear," said Noah Z. Seton '00, a candidate for president.

The signs describe platforms and programs on a wide spectrum of issues, ranging from dining hall guest passes to free online source books. Though the candidates claim the issues are important, many students say they have taken little notice of the campaign efforts thus far.

"I just really don't care," said Julia M. Rosenbloom '01. "I didn't vote the first time for House elections."

While the majority of students interviewed had not noticed the signs, their lack of knowledge may be attributable to the recent holiday weekend.

"I do care [about the election], but right now, I'm just concerned about where I'm going," said Melissa R. Moschella '02, who had just returned to campus.

Candidates need not fear that the effects of the holiday season will hurt their attempts to raise student interest. The campaign season has been extended by two days over last year's schedule and will conclude with online voting Dec. 9 through 11.

The unaffiliated Election Commission, composed of three Council members and three non-members, establishes the basic guidelines for the campaign and is responsible for changing the timetable this year.

Despite the lengthened campaign schedule, candidates lamented the number of days before students log on to their computers to vote. And many candidates seem willing to go to great lengths for support. One presidential candidate, Trevor S. Blake '00, has held cocktail parties in his DeWolfe suite to drum up support.

Postering is a major strategy employed by campaigners, but it is not the only one. Candidates have also taken to the pavement, shaking hands and dropping literature at students' doors.

The regulations adopted by the Election Commission place a $100 spending cap on each campaign. With a small budget, candidates say funds must be allocated to produce the greatest benefit to the campaign.

Seton and his running mate, Kamil E. Redmond '00, greeted students in the fly-by lunch line in Loker Commons yesterday.

Residents of Holworthy Hall said representatives of the Seton/Redmond campaign have also asked them to place signs in their windows. One first floor room currently displays such signs.

Edward A. Swasey '00, a presidential candidate, said he has assembled campaign staff who will work on "getting the message out," but who will not go to great lengths just to grab attention.

"I see people having cocktail parties and I say 'What are you doing?'" said Swasey, who is running with vice presidential candidate Jared S. White '00. "I have no great big staff; no war room. This is a campaign for the U.C., not for Congress."

Rene M. Roy '02 said despite all of the candidates' efforts, he will not pay much attention to their campaigns. But Roy said he will cast an electronic ballot in the end.

"That's what we're supposed to do," he said.

In other election news, the number of candidates has decreased from a record high, according to election commission chair Ryan D. Fahey '02. Presidential contender Rebecca F. Lubens '00 and former vice presidential hopeful Christian P. Quilici '01 have dropped out of the race, he said.