Wilson Faces Hostile Crowd at Adams House

By Rosalind S. Helderman, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Undergraduates verbally attacked Radcliffe College President Linda S. Wilson at Adams House last night for her silence about ongoing discussions between Harvard and her institution regarding the future of Radcliffe.

Last night's meeting, the third and best-attended of Wilson's series of dining hall chats with undergraduates, became heated when students questioned Wilson's commitment to keeping students informed about possible changes at the institution.

During the meeting, which 15 students attended, Ian T. Simmons '99 called Radcliffe's communication with students "pathetic".

"I'm here. I'm listening. Tell me what you want", Wilson responded. But she noted that the Radcliffe Board of Trustees must approve any final decision about the future of Radcliffe, and she could make no promises about their actions.

"You are not equivalent to the trustees. That is fact", Wilson said, as students pressed for a larger role in the process.

But Wilson claimed Radcliffe is trying to reach out to students, citing Radcliffe's Web page, which will soon undergo an extensive overhaul as one method. Wilson noted that mouse pads have been distributed to students that are printed with the Web page address.

"We will not spend our entire budget communicating with you", Wilson said.

But Wilson also said the undergraduate dinners themselves represent one way Radcliffe is working to gather student opinion.

During the meeting Rachel E. Barber '99 questioned why undergraduate women have no choice about their connection to an institution they know little about.

"{Right now} affiliation with Radcliffe is not an option", Barber said during the meeting. "I think it's very strange that women can't apply [for admission] to Harvard College directly".

Last year Barber sponsored a bill in the Undergraduate Council which recommended that men's and women's diplomas be made uniform.

Currently, Wilson's signature appears on women's diplomas while that of Dean of the College Harry R. Lewis '68 appears on men's diplomas.

The bill, an amended version of which ultimately passed the council, faltered after Lewis refused to support the new version of the bill that recommended retaining Wilson's name on women's diplomas, but adding his own as well.

Wilson also refused to disclose any further details about the direction discussion about Radcliffe's future are moving.

"It's not a transparent process, and I'll tell you how uncomfortable that has been for me as president", she said.