Weaver Named Woman of the Year by Pudding

Parades, costumes, roast mark celebration

Outrageous period costumes, big wigs and men caked in makeup were all in a day's work yesterday for the Hasty Pudding Theatricals company's annual Woman of the Year celebration.

This Year, the Pudding's 150th anniversary, the group honored actress Sigourney Weaver of "Alien" fame.

The event included a parade, a ceremony where Weaver was given the traditional Pudding Pot and a preview of the Pudding's 150th production, "Paradise Lost and Found."

A carnival atmosphere pervaded Harvard Square yesterday afternoon, the streets teeming with people anxious to catch a glimpse of Weaver as she led her parade to the Pudding Theater.

To the tune of the Harvard Band's rendition of "Ten Thousand Men of Harvard," Weaver rode down Mass. Ave., accompanied by assorted College dance and comedy groups, each striving to outdo each other in flamboyance.

Alex Graff '00 would have looked normal in his blue hat, blue shirt and jeans had he not been splattered in fake blood. The sophomore also had a puppet poking out of his shirt which looked suspiciously like the worm-like parasitic aliens in Weaver's "Alien" series.

"It's silly, it's fun...it's good for people to get silly," Graff said.

The Harvard-Radcliffe Dance Company decided to go for a mix of cyberpunk and 1920s flapper.

Danielle E. Sherrod '98 was wearing a black Elvira-type ensemble, along with a beaded belly-dancing belt and a metallic purple veil she twirled around to the band music.

"[The company] didn't have enough time to choreograph, so we ended up doing the electric slide," Sherrod said. "But it was a lot of fun."

Fun and laughter were the themes of the day as the parade turned into a roast of Weaver by Hasty Pudding President Danton S. Char '98 and Vice President of the Cast Paul D. Siemens '98.

Char and Siemens presented Weaver with a fakeletter from the Yale School of Drama, where Weaverobtained her masters degree. Because the lettercondemned her lack of talent, Char and Siemensannounced that they had to teach Weaver to actbefore she could have her Pot.

The audience members, packed in the small363-seat theater, roared their appreciation asChar and Siemens, in a spoof of Weaver's film"Gorillas in the Mist," had Weaver play-act achest-pounding, banana-eating gorilla.

Weaver made clear that the playful jabs werenot all one-sided, however.

"So, can I get into the Harvard School ofDrama? That is, if there is one," Weaverdeadpanned after her "lesson."

Weaver, who received her bachelor's degree inEnglish from Stanford, also delighted in callingHarvard "the Stanford of the East."

In general, Pudding organizers seemed enchantedby Weaver's visit.

According to Siemens, Weaver's consideratenature made the whole event special.

"I had a great time out there, I wouldn't minddoing [my routine] again. She made it really fun,"Siemens said.

Each year, the President, vice presidents andproducers of the Hasty Pudding Theatricals selectthe Man and Woman of the Year, whose names arekept a closely-guarded secret.

The Pudding's tradition of awarding Woman ofthe Year Prizes began in 1951 with Gertrude Steinas the first honoree. Since then, noted actressesincluding Katherine Hepburn and Elizabeth Taylorhave also been honored.

The Pudding established the Man of the Yearaward in 1967 with Bob Hope as the firstrecipient.

This the year, the Pudding selected Kevin Klineas Man of the Year. Kline will be presented withhis Pot on Feb. 17.

As for Weaver, she did not conceal her delightin receiving her Pot.

"Maybe the Nobel Peace Prize?" Weaver laughedwhen asked what prize she wanted next.

"I mean, this is it," she said. "I'm going tohold onto this. I'm going to die happy."CrimsonVincent G. LevyPART OF THE HOOPLA: IVAN VELASCO '98of the Immediate Gratication Players enjoysyesterday's Mass. Ave. parade.