WEEK IN REVIEW

Feb. 9

In celebration of Hasty Pudding Theatrical's 150th anniversary last Monday, the group brought actress Sigourney Weaver to the Square as "Woman of the Year."

Festivities included the traditional parade, followed by a ceremony where Weaver was given the Pudding Pot award and a preview of the Pudding's latest production, "Paradise Lost and Found."

"It's silly, it's fun...it's good for people to get silly," said Alex Graff '00.

Kevin Kline, the Pudding's Man of the Year, will be presented with his Pot on Feb. 17.

Feb. 10

In a move expected to bring Harvard athletic facilities up to par with those of competing colleges, Dean of the Faculty Jeremy R. Knowles announced the construction of a new playing field at the Faculty meeting Thursday. The field will be constructed, thanks to a donor gift, from artificial turf.

"The new artificial [turf] field will be equipped with lighting for night time use, and will allow much greater flexibility in the scheduling of events, particularly at times of the year (as is often the case on that site) when our grass fields are unplayable," Knowles wrote in his annual letter to the Faculty.

The new field, set to be constructed behind the ice hockey rink in an area currently utilized for recreation, may be completed in eight months, according to men's soccer coach Stephen R. Locker. However, other members of the athletic department warned that the proposed site calls for more time intensive work.

Feb. 11

Friday's The American Bar, a new variation of the T.G.I.Friday's restaurant, is trying to fill the space left by California Pizza Kitchen near the corner of JFK and Eliot streets.

"The status of Friday's license has not yet been determined," said Richard V. Scali, Executive Officer of the commission.

On Feb. 3, Friday's appealed to the Cambridge Licensing Commission and a vote has been scheduled for Feb.26 in order for the Harvard Square Defense Fund to investigate whether or not Friday's would be a welcome addition to the Square.