Adams Senior Tutor Resigns Post; FDO Names New Deans

D'Aoust and Drummond fill dean vacancies

By Yo-el Ju, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

The Freshman Dean's Office (FDO) announced the appointments of two new assistant deans of freshmen yesterday. Ian D'Aoust and Sarah Birmingham Drummond will replace current Assistant Deans David Fithian and Lorraine Sterritt beginning June 1.

Dean of Freshmen Elizabeth Studley Nathans praised the appointees.

"They have very different experiences, but each of them will bring remarkable contributions," she said.

Drummond, a proctor in Greenough Hall and director of the prefect program, received news of her selection last Friday. Drummond said she hopes her new position will allow her to get further involved with first years.

"I applied because I was ready to deepen my commitment to working with freshmen at Harvard... I hope to continue the tradition of strong and helpfulassistant deans of freshmen," she said.

Drummond holds an Masters of Divinity fromHarvard Divinity School and serves as a supervisorof practicum experience for students there. As herrole at Harvard changes from a half-time proctorto a full-time dean, she will leave her post asassistant minister on North Prospect Church andmove to Apley Court.

Students commended Drummond's abilities. SomanS. Chainani '01, a member of her proctor group anda Crimson editor said, "I think she'll do a goodjob. She's really sweet. And she's really good athelping people get through their problems...Sheknows a lot about the system...She's verycapable."

Nathans said D'Aoust is similarlywell-qualified and will provide a good balance toDrummond.

"We found them both to be head and shouldersabove, the best qualified....He brings a much moreconventional academic background...but has done atremendous amount of committee work,"she said.

D'Aoust is scheduled to complete his Ph.D. atYale this year. Trained as a historian, he has taught classes such as "European Thought andCulture" and "The American Revolution" at Yale.

D'Aoust has a significant amount of experiencein issues of class scheduling and otheradministrative procedures, Nathans said. He willtake up residence in Hurlbut Hall in June,

According to Nathans, the FDO began a nationalsearch when Sterritt was appointed associate deanof freshmen in March.

The final decisions--made by a committeecomposed of officers of the College, seniorproctors and students from the UndergraduateCouncil's first-year caucus--were delayed untillast Friday because the office was unsure of howmany position they needed to fill. Fithian'sannouncement that he would accept the post assenior tutor of Adams House opened up a secondvacancy.

The screening committee selected the new deansfrom a pool of about 60 applicants. Nathans saidthe committee kept students in mind when makingtheir decision.

"We look for first and foremost, obviously,tremendous interest in the student...the absoluterequisite is facility and enjoyment of workingwith students," she said.

Nathans said she expects a smooth transitionfor the new deans even with the restructuring theFDO plans to undergo this summer.

"They are not intended to be lifetimeappointments," Nathans said, explaining thatassistant deans frequently move on to newpositions. "We expect them to be attractive toothers...the expectation is that they'll move upin three to five years.