Doctors Hold Iron Mike's Fate

LAS VEGAS--Mike Tyson probably will fight a ranked opponent in his first comeback fight this year if he regains his boxing license, his adviser said Tuesday.

Shelly Finkel said he and Tyson want someone better than Peter McNeeley, whom Tyson fought--and knocked out in the first round--in his first comeback fight when he was released from prison in 1995.

"You want credibility in the person he fights," Finkel said.

"We're looking for a rated opponent."

Before Tyson picks an opponent, though, he must pick a team of doctors to examine him and make sure he is psychologically fit to return to the ring.

Nevada boxing authorities have given Tyson a list of three facilities to undergo a psychiatric examination, and a deadline of Monday for his doctors to submit reports on Tyson's mental state.

If Tyson is cleared by the doctors, the Nevada Athletic Commission is expected to give the former heavy-weight champion a new boxing license on Oct. 3.

"No one wants to go see doctors, but he's eager to get his license back," Finkel said. Home Run Count Mark McGwire  65 Sammy Sosa  63 Games Remaining  5,4 resp.