Winter Storm Pummels New England

Nor'easter snarls traffic, travel plans

By Jonathan F. Taylor, Crimson Staff Writer

The first major snowstorm of the winter roared through New England yesterday, leaving a mess of snow, sleet and ice in the Boston area just in time for the tail end of exam period.

The classic Nor'easter has hit the East Coast hard, dumping exceptionally large amounts of snow and ice from South Carolina to Maine. Raleigh, N.C., saw a record-breaking 20 inches.

Around daybreak yesterday the storm reached Boston, with snow falling steadily for several hours before mixing with sleet, freezing rain and then rain as the day progressed.

The weather created traffic snarls in Boston and hampered travel throughout the region, with Boston's Logan Airport closing early in the day.

Logan re-opened by 4 p.m., but delays and cancellations on North American flights are expected through today, leaving many intersession travelers stranded in Cambridge.

While Harvard and its neighbors got off relatively easily with only three to six inches of snow and a small amount of ice, this was enough to shake up some normal activities and cover the area in a smooth white blanket.

The Cambridge City Manager's office had not issued a snow emergency as of yesterday evening and was not planning on doing so any time soon.

The City Department of Public Works will enforce its mandatory sidewalk clearance law, which means that all property owners, including Harvard, must have their sidewalks snow and ice free within 24 hours of snowfall's end.

College officials said there were no disruptions in exam schedules.

"Harvard is running smoothly... the College hasn't closed in its history, except for one day during the blizzard of 1978," said Harvard spokesperson Joe Wrinn. "Several departments throughout the University have closed early or told their members to stay home and work from there if possible. Decisions [such as these] are made on a unit by unit basis."

Harvard's inhabitants took the storm in stride, even though the weather forced work crews into full swing and disrupted faculty commutes.

"It's wonderful; we're getting paid overtime," said Facilities Maintenance Operations worker John Russell as he shoveled calcium compound on the sidewalks outside Adams House.

"We don't mind... it's money," said his co-worker Bob McCallum.

Meanwhile, the one remaining day of exams did not deter some from frolicking in the newly fallen snow.

"Being from Paris, France, we don't get this much snow ever.... My main pastime and claim to fame is throwing snowballs at trees. I'm trying to perfect my aim," said procrastinator Julian Sancton '03, who was enjoying the weather despite his impending final today.

"One thing I'd like to do is sled down the steps of Widener, but I'm not sure how legal that is," Sancton added.