Girls on Film

In honor of National Cominy Out Day, FM attended Sande Zeig’s The Girl at the Brattle last weekend. Praised at
By W. L. Adams

In honor of National Cominy Out Day, FM attended Sande Zeig’s The Girl at the Brattle last weekend. Praised at film festivals across the world, the movie involves themes of murder, romance, intrigue and lesbian lovin’. A mysterious woman referred to as The Painter falls in love with a nightclub singer known as The Girl. After a series of sexual encounters, The Girl tries to end the affair, but fails. Sexual encounters ensue.

Moviegoers like Zach White, a 27-year-old resident of Cambridge, had a variety of reasons for seeing the film. “I had nothing to do and I like the art films,” White said. And? “And you know, it’s about lesbians. I used to wish I could be one. But once I figured out I could be a man and also be sensual I gave up that dream.”

The Girl definitely offered White the sensuality he was looking for. He reports that he was into it. “The sex scenes didn’t make me uncomfortable. ‘Bothered’ would be a better term. Very arousing. It’s been many months since I’ve had sex myself. It was nice to reminisce and see explicit sex in the context of a relationship.”

Shelia, a lesbian audience member who wouldn’t reveal her last name, traveled from Alewife with her partner to view the film. “Everyone was talking about it this morning at breakfast. My girlfriends told me I had to see it!” Another lesbian viewer, Dianne Monice, admits that the subject of the film had ”a lot to do with” her decision to attend. “I thought it was a good story” she adds. As for the sex scenes, Monice thought they were tastefully done. “I’ve seen worse, but I’m usually alone.”

Winthrop House resident Aspen R. Alford ’04 wasn’t as enthusiastic. “At times it was poignant, but never truly compelling.” Alford took issue with the sexual encounters. ”They made me uncomfortable for two reasons. First, knowing the physical intimacy the couple shared was one that The Girl shared with different men every night. Second, while the more ‘feminine’ of the two actresses’ bodies was fully exposed on screen, the other’s was always covered by a conveniently placed bed linen.” Alford found the age difference between the stars of the film and the audience of blue-jean wearing, shorthaired women interesting. “Where are all the lesbians under 40?” he asked. Where indeed?

Heralded as “the sexiest lesbian film of the year” by PlanetOut film critic Jenni Olsen, The Girl is supposed to be a celebration of lovemaking.

Happy National Coming Out Day!

For The Moment