Showdown Looms for M. Soccer

By Tyson E. Hubbard, Crimson Staff Writer

While the majority of Harvard sports fans this weekend will visit the Stadium, the real duel will be taking place across the street at Ohiri Field.

Princeton rolls into town on Saturday for what is shaping up to be a contest between two of the elite men’s soccer teams in the Ivy League.

The Tigers (3-1-2, 1-0-1 Ivy) are reeling after suffering their first loss of the season this past Wednesday at the hand of Maryland, 5-2.

Meanwhile the Crimson (5-2, 1-0 Ivy) is back to its early season form after beating Maine and Providence this past week, by a combined score of 10-0.

The story for Harvard this year thus far has been offense. The Crimson has already scored 22 goals in just seven games, compared to a meager 18 goals throughout last year’s entire 17-game campaign.

Revenge may be on the mind of many Harvard players. Princeton started the Crimson’s woes last year—a 3-0 defeat by the Tigers started a string of six consecutive losses to finish out the year.

“There are a lot of teams we owe one to,” sophomore midfielder Kevin Ara said. “Princeton is one of them.”

Earning league honors this week for Harvard was both freshman forward Jeremy Truntzer and Ara.

Truntzer was awarded rookie of the week honors in the Ivy League after notching the third goal of his collegiate career in the game against Maine. So far on the year, the freshman from California has seven points—three goals and an assist.

A fellow Californian, who made the trip cross-country to Harvard, Ara’s production has been a big boast to the Crimson offense and one reason why they are putting up such big numbers.

The leading points scorer on the year so far, Ara has recorded four goals and three assists after scoring just two goals all of last year.

On the other side of the field, Princeton brings some firepower of its own. Leading the Tiger attack is a pair of potent goal scorers, Adrian Mellville and Mike Nugent

Nugent, who was a member of last year’s second team All-Ivy squad, has been off to a good start again this year with four goals and two assists.

Mellville, meanwhile, has stepped up his offensive game, contributing five goals and an assist. The duo has combined to score nine of Princeton’s 16 goals on the year.

Shutting down this tandem will be key for the Crimson because scoring on tough Princeton stopper Jason White will not be easy. White had given up just one goal the entire year before the Maryland loss.

White, who earned Ivy League honor roll accolades this past week with Ara and Truntzer, has posted a .90 goals against average and has been stingy in the net with a .864 save percentage.

Princeton’s defense has been superb. The Tigers have four shutouts in six games. Still, the Crimson is confident.

“If we come out on our A-game we shouldn’t have a problem,” Ara said.

As of Oct. 1, Harvard was ranked seventh in New England, while Princeton had a firm lock on the fourth-place ranking in the Middle Atlantic region. Neither team is ranked nationally but both have potential to compete with the premier soccer schools in the country.

Harvard made many people blink with their shocking upset over then No. 6 University of San Diego. Princeton has proved over the last few years that it has the ability to hang with quality teams.

The Crimson has shown Ivy League Championship potential but before it goes anywhere, it must get through the Tigers.

“It’s a huge game,” Ara said. “If we win, we put ourselves in the driver’s seat for the Ivy league the rest of the way.”

Not only is the team excited, a big crowd is expected across the river. “It’s gonna be a good atmosphere that could definitely influence the game,” Truntzer said.

While just another non-league contest happens over in the stadium, the real fireworks will be across the street.