Menino Easily Wins Reelection

By Alexander J. Blenkinsopp, Crimson Staff Writer

Surrounded by nearly 500 supporters,

Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino celebrated his election to a third term over City Councillor Peggy Davis-Mullen

at the Fairmont Copley Plaza Hotel last night.

In his victory speech, Menino pledged not only to continue the work he has begun, but to build upon it.

“I stand before you to tell you that this is a new day . . . I see it as a chance to begin again,” he said. “I promise to make this my best term ever.”

The victory celebration began well before the election’s results were announced. Many Bostonians expected Menino to run away with the election, and his supporters echoed that belief.

“He’s done a fantastic job with the city, particularly with the minority polulation,” said Menino supporter Terrence L. Parker. “I expect him to win by a landslide.”

The hotel’s grandiose ballroom sported only sparse Menino decoration. Turquoise and whitebanners on and above the podium read “For Mayor Menino,” as if to dedicate the celebration to him, instead of the more traditional “Menino For Mayor.”

Swing music from an eight-piece band, cold cuts and crackers, and $5 beers dominated the hours before Menino’s appearance.

A large projection screen covering a wall of the ballroom began posting polling results shortly after precincts closed at 8:30 p.m., confirming the expected Menino landslide of about a three-to-one margin.

As soon as the initial vote tallies were posted, the crowd of supporters turned their attention to the screen. When the band finished their song, the room was entirely silent; chit-chat had ended and conversations had been cut short.

But the few moments of silence belied the mingling and chatter which marked most of the night.

“He’s a good man for a great city,” said Mark P. McGrath, an advisor to Menino’s campaign and the mayor’s former liaison to the gay and lesbian community. “I think it’s a great night for the mayor. This shows his support among a broad cross-section of people.”

Menino finally made his appearance at about 9:45 p.m., 15 minutes later than planned. Taking the stage with friends and family , including three grandchildren carried in parents’ arms, the mayor was greeted by uproarious applause and cheering. Menino, seemingly enthused by the crowd, clapped his hands and pumped his fist repeatedly.

When the cheering subsided, a chorus of ringing cellphones filled the silence.

Menino, speaking with his strong Boston accent, did not at first reach the people in the back of the room. He then virtually shouted the rest of his speech into the microphone, however, enabling the core of his message to be heard.

He thanked his supporters, Davis-Mullen, and the city of Boston. He also mentioned the tragedies of Sept. 11 and offered his prayers to the members of the armed services overseas. He also commended the emergency service personnel of Boston.

“It’s not fancy rhetoric,” the mayor said, “but it comes from the heart. I’m not a fancy talker, but I’ve gotten things done.”

George A. Moyer, the bassist for the band, said, “I call him ‘Mumbles,’ but that doesn’t take anything away from him.”

Brian J. McLaughlin, a Menino supporter, expressed a slightly different sentiment.

“His speech was eloquent,” McLaughlin said. “He focused on how he’s not going to lie down in his third term. He hit on the right things. What else do you want from a mayor?”