Tenacious D: Staph's Success A Sweet Struggle

By Daniel E. Fernandez, Crimson Staff Writer

This summer I had the chance to rewatch Rudy, one of my favorite sports movies of all time.

Its a great movie because it makes you root for the underdog. Its a great movie because it poignantly shows how the human soul can be indomnitable and that sometimes dreams come true. Its also a great movie because its based on a true story.

I have to admit, though, that I really didnt think I would ever come across that type of heroism in real life. Maybe a story that was fit for a movie, but certainly it couldnt be a movie story fit for real life.

But my thinking changed after Saturdays football game. I had to chance to watch Rudy personified. I watched a fifth-year senior beat the odds and make a dream come true in front of his family in the stands. I watched a person who had been knocked down in years past, courageously get up and have the performance of his college career. I saw Josh Staph run on Saturday , and I think everyone who reads this page should hear his incredible story.

My apologies to those who expect a more conventional football column. I could talk about the Ivy title implications of Harvards win., the improved defensive unit or the Crimsons ability to hold on to the football and win close games. But trust me on this one. I wouldnt spend time retelling this story if I didnt think it was important.

Josh Staphs story begins in Cleveland, Ohio, where he was raised on a steady diet of football. His father, a die-hard Steelers fan, and his older brother, a loyal supporter of the local Browns, made sure that Josh knew nothing other than blocking, passing, running and tackling.

My father and brother are, simply put, the reason I started playing football, Staph said. I can remember watching football with them before I was even old enough to know what was going on.

As a young boy, Staphs father and brother would take him out to a local field and play pick-up games. He was too little to actually compete, but he didnt mind playing all-time center and snapping the ball to his life-long role models.

In high school, Staph was a standout player who could play flanker, tailback or fullback. In his final high school game, the 100th playing of the University-Western Reserve rivalry, Staph scored three touchdowns to lead his team to the win in a driving snow.

He wouldnt score three touchdowns or even get that much playing time until Saturdays game. But how he got back to success on the gridiron deserves more mention than dwelling on the accomplishment of 152 rushing yards and three touchdowns.

You see, Staph wasnt even supposed to be in a Harvard uniform last weekend. In fact, he should have graduated last spring. He had many opportunities to stop playing football and was nearly forced to stop on a few occasions. But he persevered. He only wanted to compete and to play, and although his prospects were dim, he only worked harder.

In the fall of 1997, when Staph arrived at Harvard, he already had a long line ahead of him at tailback. Crimson great Chris Menick 99, Troy Jones 99 and Damon Jones 00, were just some of the talented backs ahead of Staph on the depth chart.

So, after two years of not logging any playing time, Staph was not invited back to practice with the team at the next camp. As a junior, Staph realized that his chances of ever playing for the varsity team were slim at best.

But he didnt give up.

Probably the most difficult hardship Ive faced playing football was not being invited back to camp, Staph said. And the most difficult decision Ive had to make was whether or not to come back.

Staph did come back, but he severely injured his shoulder and was ruled medically unable to play. His junior season went by the boards, and again Staph was not invited to the teams next practice camp.

Perhaps being told once that he was unwanted would be enough, but certainly being told twice would seal the deal. After all, why continue on in the face of such adversity and hostility when quitting would be both painless and easy?

It boggles the mind, but Staph would not be denied. If he couldnt practice with the team, he would practice back home. And he credits his friends and family with motivating him.

It was a blessing to me to have friends like R.D. Kern, Chris Stakich and Grady Smalling on the team, Staph said. It was a lot easier to stick with it even when people told me I shouldnt.

Staph returned to Ohio and worked on drills with his father. The elder Staph understood his sons desire to return to play the game he loved for all of his life, and did what he could to help.

I would go through the same drills that the teams was going through in Cambridge, Staph said. In effect, we held our own little double sessions. He would throw me passes and help out on a variety of drills where he played a defensive man I would try to elude.

Staph returned for his fifth year at Harvard after taking off the previous spring. His only goal was to play Crimson football, and he made it known to Harvard Coach Tim Murphy. Murphy agreed to give him a shot in the preseason, and was impressed by what he saw.

No kid on this team has worked harder than [Staph], Murphy said. And as a fullback, well, sometimes you kinda forget about those guys.

Staph made full use of his chance to step up and make a name for himself. With the career-ending injury to feature back Matt Leiszler, Staph was given a legitimate shot to prove he deserved a starting job.

And, as a testament to his ability and fortitude, Staph won the starting tailback job. He would have one chance to show why he was even supposed to be in a Harvard uniform. He had one shot to show everyone who counted him out why he deserved to play. More importantly, he had only one shot to prove to his friends, family and loved ones why their support was warranted.

In true heroic and dramatic form, he needed only one shot.

Staph rushed for 152 yards on 28 carries and scored three touchdowns. He only had 14 carries and 71 yards in his entire career before Saturday. But more than his accomplishments on the field, it was the context of how he did what he did that was special.

His father and brother were watching in Harvard Stadium, much like how Rudys father and brother watched on in Notre Dame. Staphs teammates were cheering in and out of the huddle. The crowd and those of us in the press gallery were standing up and taking note.

No one on this team has ever doubted the ability and toughness of Josh Staph, said Harvards captain Ryan FitzGerald. We were all impressed, but not surprised.

Staph had done it. He finally made it after all of those years of turbulence and turmoil. He was a story waiting to be told.

The game on Saturday was a dream come true, Staph said. I have been ready and waiting for this opportunity for a while. I know now that deciding to stick with football was the best decision of my life.

And so, when all is said and done, Josh Staph wont be one of the all-time great backs for Harvard. He wont break any records or attract any NFL teams come draft day. Maybe Saturday will be his only day in the sun.

But its a day that all of us can bask in. The toughness of the human spirit and the resolve of strong individuals are uplifting, as we have seen recently in our country. Staph, in his own right, is a hero, and his courage should serve as an example for the rest of his team and for the rest of us.

And I have a feeling that despite the fitting and happy ending, Staphs story is far from over. He wouldnt have it any other way.