Forum Panel Stresses Moral Leadership

Professor of Public Service DAVID GERGEN, left, moderated a panel including corporate chair SIDNEY HARMAN at the John F. Kennedy Jr. Forum yesterday. Panelists discussed several different facets of moral leadership.
By Nicole B. Urken, Contributing Writer

America must reassess its values and explicitly teach moral lessons throughout the business and governmental arenas, a selected group of moral leaders told an audience at the John F. Kennedy Jr. forum last night.

The panel, composed of two top-level business executives, a former governor, a nonprofit chair and a writer, told the audience that as common awareness of a societal malaise in morality increases, public figures are being increasingly held accountable for their lapses in judgement.

Former Governor of Texas Ann Richards said that the public has become increasingly aware of the indiscretions of government and business leaders thanks to the quick flow of information through media.

“It started with the celebrities,” Richards said, “and then politicians, then sports figures, and now business leaders.”

Sidney Harman, founder of the high-fidelity audio firm Harman/Kardon, said that society can engender good behavior through regulation and legislation, pointing to his own company as an example.

He said a strong moral compass is required not only for corporate leadership but for the enrichment of employees’ lives.

“There is a fundamental and even profound obligation to generate a climate where everyone in the company feels moved that life is better. And business then prospers as well,” Harman said.

He said the fact that his company has flourished while rigorously following legislation shows that strong morals lead to a strong bottom line—in contrast with the notion that the two are mutually exclusive.

Teach for America Founder Wendy Kopp said that even the non-profit world is not a refuge from corruption.

“It’s easier to lead with morality if you have more inclusive leadership,” she said. Otherwise, “people are so removed from understanding the impact of their actions.”

Kopp said that one of her main motives in starting Teach for America was to engage the younger generation in experiences that will teach them that leadership is about doing the right thing.

Richards said people are not “taught” morality after childhood.

“When we get to be adults, everything becomes more complex, but there are no brush-up courses... Ethical behavior needs to be reexamined,” Richards said.

When she instituted a refresher day on ethical and moral behavior and formed an employee committee on morality as Texas Treasurer, Richards said, she had a much happier workforce.

Kopp also said that when Teach for America drafted a standard of core values, it affected how they operated.

“Even if you are hiring good people,” she said, “you cannot assume that they know what is valued.”