Larry Lets Loose At 'Berg

In the midst of a throng of cheering first-years, University President LAWRENCE H. SUMMERS dances to “Twist and Shout” during a study break he hosted at Annenberg Hall Wednesday night.
By Hana R. Alberts, Crimson Staff Writer

Annenberg Hall buzzed with excitement Wednesday night, as hundreds of first-years got down to a mix of top-40 hits and classic dance beats. But the party was missing one key ingredient.

At a little before 10 p.m., just as the rump-shaking was getting serious, the Big Man on Campus slipped in. University President Lawrence H. Summers had arrived, fashionably late.

Tales of Summers’ memorable moves at last year’s Annenberg study break—when he busted a move to Nelly’s “Hot in Herre”—had preceded him, and the crowd was anticipating a repeat performance.

“I hear you do a mean tango,” one first-year said to Summers.

Though he played coy, Summers wasn’t going to disappoint.

“Give me a little time and I will dance, I promise,” Summers replied, laughing.

When Summers, sporting a gray argyle sweater and black slacks, took the microphone, the crowd erupted in loud cheers, whistles and catcalls.

“Do I have to dance?” Summers asked again with a glint in his eye. “Maybe I should get a filibuster for the next hour so I don’t have to.”

The volume of the cheers increased a few decibels.

“I know for the next two weeks you’re going to do nothing but study,” he said. “But I hope you don’t study for the next hour.”

Yelling “Hit it!” to the DJ, Summers walked onto the crowded dance floor as “Twist and Shout” rolled onto the turntable.

Hips swiveling robotically from side to side, Summers raised his arms in the air, and the crowd rushed in. Two dozen first-years enveloped Summers and danced in a circle around him, obscuring him from sight.

Students said the combination of Summers, snacks and socializing was the perfect way to kick off their first reading period.

Four large tables overflowed with food on all sides. From cakes to pies to cream puffs, baked brie to grapes, and a piñata-laden table with nachos and fixings, first-years agreed that the dining hall staff had outdone themselves.

Annenberg General Manager Kay R. D’Andria said the feast featured 10 kinds of pie and took nine man-hours to prepare.

“I thought the food was going to be crappy but it’s amazing,” said Allison B. Kessler ’07 as she ate a gooey hunk of chocolate.

Robert M. Cronin, also known as DJ BC, manned the turntables, playing hits like Beyonce’s “Baby Boy” mixed in with dance classics like “Come on, Eileen” by Dexi’s Midnight Runners. Cronin is the office administrator of the Freshman Dean’s Office (FDO), but he DJs weddings and Harvard functions on the side.

When he threw on OutKast’s “Hey-Ya,” Billboard’s current number one hit, the first-years flocked to the dance floor. Lauren L. Jackson ’07, Claire E. Moore ’07 and Sarah T. Selim ’07 performed their CityStep dance, while ballroom dancers twirled and two-stepped in response to OutKast’s pleas to “shake it.”

Kenton J. Hetrick ’07 showed off his “running man” and “sprinkler” with fellow members of the Harvard Band, but he said his favorite move is the “’Livin’ on a Prayer’ fist.” Hetrick demonstrated, striking a pose with his knees bent, head angled downward, and his right fist straight up in the air.

“It’s a real gift,” Hetrick said of the event. “Larry’s been really kind to us.”

Puns abounded as two first-years from Weld discussed the event.

“Seeing Lizzle-Sizzle break it-dizzle was one of the most Larry-rific things I’ve ever seen,” said Andrew J. Bestwick ’07. “In my opinion, nothing could be better than a night with the Larr-Bear.”

Andrew W. Dranginis ’07 agreed, “It was hi-Larry-ous.”

First-years introduced and reintroduced themselves, exchanging hometowns in a manner reminiscent of Freshman Week.

Daniel A. Koh ’07 said the study break was another way for his class to bond.

“It’s a great way to improve the freshman community,” he said, adding that the party was better than the ice cream bash. “It’s less awkward because it’s not the first day of school.”

Summers posed for pictures, shook hands, learned names and fielded numerous dance requests.

Students clustered around him in a tight circle. Every time a group stepped away, satisfied with their twenty-second conversation with the president, a new flock shyly shuffled up to take their place.

Munching politely on a piece of cheese, Summers discussed common acquaintances with one student, computer classes with the next and tennis with a third.

“Each year, I go to adult tennis camp with a few friends from the Treasury,” he told her.

For some who had not yet started to study, the Summers-sponsored shindig was more of a pre-game for the rest of reading period.

“All I’ve done is art and written two pages,” said Briahna J. Gray ’07. “But the art has been very strenuous.”

But some students thought Summers could do a little more to get to know the students on their level.

“The only thing better than dessert and dancing with Larry would be a kegger with Larry,” said Matthew S. Meisel ’07.

—Staff writer Hana R. Alberts can be reached at alberts@fas.harvard.edu.