Crimson Rolls Over Crusaders

By Abigail M. Baird, Contributing Writer

Charles Dickens wrote that “it was the best of times, it the worst of times”—and yesterday’s game against Holy Cross was truly “a tale of two halves,” according to senior defender Sam Wiggin.

The Harvard men’s soccer team (6-5-0, 1-1-0 Ivy) not only had to face a regionally fourth ranked Crusaders (5-3-1) team, but 20 mile per hour winds as well.

Each half had to be handled completely independently. The Crimson had the upper hand in the first half—playing with the wind at their backs—but after switching sides for the second half of play Holy Cross gained the advantage.

“The wind was just blustery,” Wiggin said.

But nothing could stop Harvard from stomping the Crusaders into the ground with a 3-1 win in Worcester.

“It was a good result,” said junior captain and defender Will Craig. “But it wasn’t a pretty game.”

Not pretty might be an understatement as the Crimson had to navigate a considerably more compact field riddled with holes and bumps.

And although the poor field conditions—that Harvard said are a staple of the Holy Cross turf—didn’t cause any major tactical changes in the Crimson’s play, it definitely forced them to play a much more careful game—literally having to watch their every step.

The rough field conditions and wind forced both teams to play a more controlled game.

Both teams were forced to keep the ball on the ground and make short quick passes. The team had to strictly avoid over the top passing and putting the ball too high in the air for fear that the ball might soar away.

The Crimson kept its composure though—feeling confident in the knowledge that keeping the ball on the ground is one of this team’s key strengths.

“That is where we have always succeeded,” Wiggin said.

But the true success story of yesterday’s game was freshman Michael Fucito’s second key goal for Harvard in their last two games.

Fucito has been an offensive force on the team all season whose attacking mindset has proved a crucial asset, but only lately has he really stepped up his play and started really putting balls in the net.

“[Mike] has really adapted to the college game now,” Craig said. “He knows when to take the shots and when to get the goal.”

In last Saturday’s win over Cornell, Fucito did just that in scoring the third goal of the game. He effectively ended up securing the win for an elated Harvard team, only to come up with a repeat performance Tuesday.

Fucito knocked in the second goal for the Crimson in the 69th minute of play after Crusader freshman forward Marsalis Beckford tied up the game at 1-1 earlier in the half.

“[Mike] really gives us offensive momentum,” Wiggin said.

Fucito’s momentum could not have come earlier as the team has been wanting offensively all season. They have been struggling to gain the momentum required to score goals.

“[It] is something we lacked before,” Wiggin said.

Junior Nick Tornaritis also put in his second goal of the last two games. He scored the first goal for Harvard—knocking in a shot from inside the box in the 37th minute of the first half.

The Crimson’s ability to score goals in the first half has been a major factor in bringing home more wins for the team. Being able to go into the second half with the lead instead of playing catch up is a huge confidence builder according to the team.

“You feel that if you can just then defend for 45 minutes you can win the game,” Craig said.

Harvard’s last goal was brought in by sophomore forward Matt Hoff who deflected the ball from the Holy Cross goalie Richard Whipple’s attempt to clear in the 85th minute of play—crushing Holy Cross’s hopes for a comeback.

The Crimson now heads into their biggest game of the season so far against No. 21 Brown this Sunday with back to back wins against Cornell and Holy Cross.

“We know control our own destiny,” Wiggin said. “The Ivy League is wide open right now.”

And the Harvard team couldn’t be happier about their chances right now. If they can pull out a win this Sunday against Brown anything could happen. Gametime is Sunday at 1:00 pm on Stevenson Field in Providence.

Men's Soccer