M. Squash Cruises in Opening Weekend

Junior Will Broadbent cruised to victory this weekend.
By Courtney Petrouski, Crimson Staff Writer

After what must have seemed like an excruciatingly long off-season following its devastating loss to Trinity in the College Squash Association (CSA) National Championship last March, the Harvard men’s squash team has primed itself for this year’s quest for the national title.

In the first weekend of the 2004-05 season, the Crimson (2-0, 1-0 Ivy) trounced both Ivy challenger Brown (0-1) and traditionally weak opponent Williams (0-1), dishing out two 9-0 defeats.

“We’re trying to get back the energy we had last season,” captain Asher Hochberg said. “It was obviously a bad loss at the end of the season…everybody kind of knows how it felt last season. It’s good, though, we had a good match this weekend with Brown and Williams.”

HARVARD 9, WILLIAMS 0

Harvard came out swinging against Williams to put up its second 9-0 win of the season against an overmatched opponent.

The Crimson boasts four of the top-10 collegiate players, while Williams had no one ranked above No. 45.

The majority of the nine players put up 3-0 wins, including the team’s only freshman, Chessin Gertler, at No. 9.

Harvard coach Satinder Bajwa said that these matches can best be used to hone problem areas and develop skills necessary for tougher opponents down the road.

Although it is early in the year, the strong season-opening wins also provide the first step towards reclaiming the league crown and challenging Trinity for the national title.

“[We want] to win the Ivy title and win the national championship,” said intercollegiate No. 2 junior Will Broadbent, who won his match 3-0 with little difficulty. “I think that the team’s starting to come together a little bit…It’s very early in the season so it’s hard to say right now, but I think we definitely have the guys to win the Ivy title.”

HARVARD 9, BROWN 0

Following a dominating 6-0 Ivy record last season, the Harvard picked up right where it left off, easily caging the Brown Bears with a 9-0 win Friday night at the Murr Center.

The Bears didn’t have to face Harvard at the preseason Ivy scrimmage in New Haven, which served as a warm up exhibition and whose results determine early CSA rankings. Instead, Brown traveled to Crimson home turf to accept their defeat.

Dropping just two points in his 3-0 victory, Hochberg owned the No. 6 slot, helping the Crimson win all nine matches in straight games.

Last year’s No. 1, Broadbent, returned to the ranks after missing the scrimmage due to multiple injuries. His return provides even more depth to an already experienced squad.

“[Over the summer I] didn’t get to do as much training as I wanted to do,” Broadbent said. “I really just need to play more, play more matches, get more practices under my belt…I think that as a team we have to come together and stay healthy. It’s such a long season.”

Men's Squash