The Prying Game: Better Than Wyclef

By Michael A. Mohammed, Crimson Staff Writer

Yes, Wyclef canceled. And once again we are reminded that the UC should, for once, have asked the people. Then they might have found out who the people really want to see.

Instead, we asked Harvard students who they would bring if they had power over the UC Concert Commission. Answers ranged from eccentric to old-school. If I had the power, I’d probably bring Elvis Costello…but something tells me that he’ll never be this year’s model.

Amber J. Musser, GSAS (tentatively ’08)

P.J. Harvey. I’ve had a lifelong obsession with her…I guess you could call it a girl crush. When she performs, she dances around the stage, and screams and moans. She’s got a more feminist vibe. I think some people would respond to it, but she’s not that popular, even though she did open for U2 in 2001.

Corey A. Pedersen ’06

That’s easy–Snoop Dogg. Ever since sixth grade I’ve had this fascination with him–he was so gangsta. And now he’s selling laundry detergent. I want to see if he’s gangsta in real life. I was so excited when [the UC] said he was going to come last year, it was going to be the highlight of my college career. I was crushed when he didn’t [come].

Marie E. Burks ’06

Neil Diamond–a sexy mofo. I’ve felt this way about Neil since I was ten–my favorite song of his is “Sweet Caroline.” My favorite part is his booty-shaking onstage. I’ve got a thing for older guys in general.

Kristal B.Y. Young ‘06

I’d really like Van Morrison to come…I’d be willing to overlook the fact that he’s a wife-beater. My favorite songs are “Gloria” and “Hey, Domino.” None of this “Brown-Eyed Girl” crap—that’s just a bad song. It’s the same thing over and over again.