FOOTBALL PREVIEW 2005: Kelly Widman

Widman continues his search for a home on offense

By Aidan E. Tait, Crimson Staff Writer

Kelly Widman didn’t have a choice after breaking his right fibula in Harvard’s 39-14 win over Princeton last year. He had to sit on the bench, had to hobble on crutches and watch his teammates celebrate one of the finest campaigns in Crimson history.

Widman finds himself without a choice again this year. But this season, he won’t have any time to sit down for a breather. The versatile senior from Charlotte, N.C., will shoulder fullback, halfback, and tight end duties this year for the Crimson offense.

“Kelly’s Mr. Everything for us,” said junior running back Clifton Dawson. “He does a lot for our offense and for our team.”

At 6’2, 250 lbs, Widman provides the perfect blocking-rushing-receiving combination for an already potent offense.

“Being able to play two positions throws the defense a little off track,” Widman said. “We don’t have to make a substitution. I can line up one place and [the defense has] to change around what they’re doing.”

Dawson will again be the star in the backfield, but Widman’s versatility opens up holes for both Dawson and himself.

In some formations, Widman will line up in the tight end spot on the offensive line and block for Dawson. In others, he’ll shield the way from the fullback position. He may also see the ball on first down, and he’ll head downfield in long second and third down situations.

What he won’t do is spend much time on the sideline. But after playing the spectator role last year, Widman is all too ready for full-time responsibility on the field.

“Any time I can contribute on first-and-10, a goal-line situation, or a strict passing one, it’s exciting,” Widman said. “This season has great potential, and I’m looking forward to being a part of it for the whole ride.”

—Staff writer Aidan E. Tait can be reached at atait@fas.harvard.edu.

Football